[AISWorld] Tenure-Track Associate/Assistant Professor Positions at Singapore Management University

LIN Mei mlin at smu.edu.sg
Sun Sep 22 02:46:04 EDT 2013

INFORMATION SYSTEMS TENURE TRACK FACULTY POSITIONS AVAILABLE
Information Systems & Management (IS&M)

We are interested in hiring at the Associate and Assistant Professor levels. Candidates for the Associate Professor position may be experienced faculty, or applied technology researchers in a research-focused organization or agency. New Ph.D. graduates will be considered for the Assistant Professor position.

Requirements
Applicants should demonstrate: (1) an established and innovative research program, targeted at the top journals, that emphasizes some aspect of IS&M in the interdisciplinary context; (2) a commitment and competency to teach topics involving IS, management and data analytics; and (3) the completion of a Ph.D. degree.

Candidates
We seek candidates to work in areas such as:
*             Social media mining and social network analytics
*             Computational marketing, consumer behaviour mining and analytics
*             Microeconomic analysis of firms, digital businesses and industries, combining advanced empirical and analytical methods
*             Experimental social science at scale in field settings
*             Other areas related to the emerging field of computational social science
Applicants may have single or interdisciplinary backgrounds.

Interdisciplinary
We welcome applications from people trained in disciplines other than Information Systems who are committed to applying their training and research efforts to the topics listed above or to similar topics.  For example, in addition to encouraging applicants from the IS academic communities, we also strongly encourage people to apply from disciplinary and research backgrounds in: Applied Economics and Econometrics; Big Data and Behavioural Economics methods applied to Marketing or Consumer Behaviour; Applied Statistics; Machine Learning; and Computer Science. People with backgrounds in: Financial Services IS and Technology; Social Science or Management Applications; Informatics and Healthcare Management or Policy; and Technology Policy and Management in the Public Sector are welcome too.

Singapore Management University
SMU was founded in 2000. The government of Singapore funds it, though it was chartered as an autonomous, private university. It has close working relationships with the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, Carnegie Mellon University, Peking University, and the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore. As a university centred on the concerns of business and management spanning both the private and public sectors, SMU is fortunate to occupy a recently built campus in the heart of Singapore's civic, cultural and business district. SMU values research that bridges theory and practice, and that takes advantage of our regional location and access. We leverage these things to create knowledge and insights with global relevance.
SMU's research in Economics, Finance, and Accounting, from 2010 onwards, has obtained global prominence. SMU's published output in these areas has resulted in high and rapidly climbing recognition in the discipline-specific global rankings. SMU's published work in the IS related areas of data analytics and information security has also achieved global visibility and prominence.

School of Information Systems
SIS has substantial research and educational efforts on both the management side, as well as on the computing and technology side of IS.  Because of our capabilities in Information Systems and Technology, SIS is the only academic unit within SMU that is classified under Singapore's Science and Technology Cluster of academic units, making us eligible for government funding targeted for Science and Technology-based university programmes and research institutes - which increases our access to external research support. At present, SIS has a total of 50 faculty and 56 Ph.D. students. There are 10 centres and labs within the School that promote interdisciplinary work spanning the management and technology aspects of IS. We highly encourage collaborative work.
In May 2013, the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) and the Infocomm Development Authority (IDA) of Singapore designated SMU SIS as the national lead provider for a new national scheme for Financial Services IT manpower development. To meet this need, SIS has created the Financial IT Academy @SMU (FITA) to design and deliver high quality continuing education training programmes in support for technology and operations professionals in the financial services industry. FITA offers our faculty unprecedented access to banking and finance professionals working at the intersection of technology, operations, process and service (TOPS) innovation across all segments of banking - wealth management, retail and corporate services, and financial markets - in the leading financial hub of Asia.

Research at SIS and SMU
SMU has identified three university-wide Areas of Excellence for development and expansion: Analytics for Business, Consumer and Social Insights; Financial Markets and Institutions; and Innovation and Entrepreneurship. SIS leads the university-wide responsibility for the Analytics Area of Excellence. The Living Analytics Research Centre (LARC), a joint effort with Carnegie Mellon University established in 2011, is an example of how SMU has built new capabilities in Analytics for Business, Consumer and Social insights. LARC focuses on closed-loop experimental research for near real-time applications in network-centric settings with societal-scale data. The SMU side of LARC is located in and managed by SIS. The school also hosts and manages the LiveLabs Urban Lifestyle Innovation Platform, a city-scale research test-bed with for companies to run large-scale consumer behavioral trials and experiment with novel mobile services on real people in real environments.
SIS is home to the SMU-TCS iCity Lab, a multi-year collaboration with Tata Consulting Services. Examples of projects in the iCity Lab are: (1) exploring how mobile technologies and analytics can be used to support the health, as well as other living and well-being needs of aging patients with chronic diseases; and (2) a software platform for city process management to serve as a means of implementing city policies through operations and processes, and to deliver citizen interaction services across healthcare, education, transportation, and other verticals. iCity Lab is also contributing building blocks for an emerging vision of cloud-based IT solutions for intelligent cities in Asia and worldwide.
Through a partnership with DHL and SMU, the Green Transformation Lab (GTL) was established in 2013 at SIS to address problems at the intersection of sustainability, supply chain management, and large-scale business modeling and process transformation. By integrating data analytics with new solutions for intelligent supply chain management, GTL is helping DHL and companies in its customer network transform their supply chains, become greener, and become more resource efficient and sustainable. SIS faculty, staff and students, as well as faculty from SMU's Lee Kong Chian School of Business Operations Management group, are working with the GTL.
LARC, LiveLabs, the iCity Lab, and the Green Transformation Lab are all examples of ways you can gain access to real-world test-beds, real-world data, and external domain experts and organisations. They also provide opportunities for doing integrative and interdisciplinary work, and for testing new theories and new methods in the world of practice.

The IS&M Faculty Cluster
IS&M has seven tenure track Research faculty with doctoral degrees from UT Austin, Carnegie Mellon, Rochester and Harvard. The cluster also has five additional Education and Practice faculty, who focus their efforts on our education delivery, education projects with industry, and outreach missions. The main areas of coverage of IS&M are:
*             IS in organizations
*             Economics of IS
*             Technology strategy, innovation and design
*             IT services
*             Financial IS and technology
*             Technology and markets
*             Analytics for business, consumer and social Insights.
Arrayed around the IS&M cluster are four other clusters of faculty in SIS:
*             Data Management and Analytics
*             Information Security and Trust
*             Intelligent Systems and Decision Analytics
*             Software Systems
These five strategic competencies permit us to do research on: human-computer interaction and outsourcing; autonomous agents and multi-agent systems; data security and information privacy; and data mining for text, social media and sentiment analysis, and spatial data analytics. The competencies are based on expertise available from faculty whose doctorates are in Computer Science.

Learn more
To explore the connections possible for you as a faculty member, visit our websites: Singapore Management University (smu.edu.sg), the School of Information Systems (sis.smu.edu.sg), and our research centres. These include LARC (larc.smu.edu.sg), LiveLabs (livelabs.smu.edu.sg), the SMU-DHL Green Transformation Lab (gtl.smu.edu.sg), and iCity Lab (icity.smu.edu.sg).
Information on our Post-Graduate Research programmes is also available for:
*             Ph.D. Programme (sis.smu.edu.sg/programmes/PhD/overview)
*             Masters of Applied IS Programme (sis.smu.edu.sg/programmes/MAIS/overview).
Information on our professionally-oriented programmes can be found at:
*             Masters of IT in Business (Analytics) (sis.smu.edu.sg/programmes/postgraduate/mitb)
*             Masters of IT in Business (Financial Serv.) (www.smu.edu.sg/programmes/postgraduate/mitb-fs)
*             Financial IT Academy @SMU (sis.smu.edu.sg/master-it-business/industry/fit-academy)
*             B.Sc. (IS Management) (sis.smu.edu.sg/programmes/bsc-ism/curriculum/overview).

Application
Interested candidates should apply by sending materials to:
'IS&M Faculty Search' via siscv at smu.edu.sg
The required submission materials include:
(1)          a cover letter explaining the position you are interested in and your qualifications;
(2)          your current CV, research statement and research samples; and
(3)          a teaching statement with past teaching performance evaluation information.
Letters of reference are not required initially. Instead, we will request reference letters for candidates who make our short list. Please direct questions to siscv at smu.edu.sg, and also indicate 'IS&M Faculty Search' in your email message's subject line.

Screening interviews
For an October 2013 interview at INFORMS or INFORMS CIST in Minneapolis, submit your application before October 3, 2013. For a December 2013 interview at ICIS or its satellite workshops in Milan, please submit no later than Monday, December 2. For a January 2013 Skype interview, please submit no later than Monday, December 30. University visits will start in January 2013. Our positions will stay open until they are filled. We encourage inquiries from September 2013 onwards.

------
Mei LIN, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Information Systems & Management
School of Information Systems
Singapore Management University
80 Stamford Road, Singapore 178902
Tel: +65 6808 5284