[AISWorld] Downside of impact factors: Scientists engaging in 'citation stacking'

Robert Johnston robert.johnston at ucd.ie
Sun Sep 22 19:43:56 EDT 2013

John (and other is in this thread)

That is the prefect response. The whole issue is not about the accuracy
of metrics, but the /appropriateness/ of metrics as a substitute for
reading and understanding research.
A nice piece on this appeared in Nature recently here
http://www.nature.com/news/halt-the-avalanche-of-performance-metrics-1.13553
It is good to see the issue is getting such high profile exposure.

Cheers Johno

Dr Robert B. Johnston

Mail: 81 Hunter St. Richmond, VIC, Australia. 3121
Email: Robert.Johnston at ucd.ie <Robert.Johnston at ucd.ie>
Mobile: +61 414 493 255
Skype: johno.home