[AISWorld] JIPS - Latest Issue Content - Vol.9 No.3 2013

Arslan, Faruk farslan at utep.edu
Fri Oct 4 11:04:21 EDT 2013

Journal of Information Privacy and Security, Vol. 9, No. 3, 2013.
Editorial Preface, Special Issue: Challenges in Information Privacy and Security for Emerging Applications  by Indranil Bose (Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta, India).

Research Paper 1: RFID-based Attack Scenarios in Retailing, Healthcare and Sports by Wang Suk Suh (Department of Sport Management, Florida State University, USA), Eun Jung Yoon  (Information Systems & Operations Management, University of  Florida, USA), and Selwyn Piramuthu, (Information Systems & Operations Management, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA and RFID European Lab, Paris,  France)

Abstract. RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) is increasingly becoming a popular technology due to its many advantages over competing technology (e.g., bar code) across various application areas such as marketing, retailing, health care industry, sport industry, among others. RFID has also been widely adopted due to its relatively low cost when its benefits are also factored in. While we enjoy these benefits of RFID systems, serious privacy and security concerns exist from their wireless communication mode and associated inherent vulnerabilities. We consider potential RFID attack scenarios in a few application domains including retailing, healthcare and sports.

Research Paper 2: A Framework for Addressing Data Privacy Issues In E-Governance Projects by Ashish Kumar Jha (Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, India) and Indranil Bose (Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, India).

Abstract. The paper discusses privacy and security issues related to data collected by various government agencies. It presents a theoretical framework developed on the basis of specific case studies of e-governance implementation in India and the lessons that can be drawn from the same for better execution of future digitization implementation of government services. This research illustrates with definite examples and situational analysis the dichotomy of centralization versus decentralization. We also describe some successful implementation of e-governance projects around the globe and develop the learning into a framework for analyzing and standardizing the data management and protection needs of e-governance projects.

Research Paper 3: Cybercrime Enforcement Around The Globe by Yuanrong Hu (School of management, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China), Xi Chen  (School of Management, Zhejiang University, China) and  Indranil Bose (Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta, India).

Abstract. This paper presents a comparative analysis of the law enforcement toward cybercrime in various countries: the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, China, and European countries. We summarize cybercriminal events reported by public media in various countries. We focus on criminal activities related to credit card fraud, social networking crime, Internet child pornography and juvenile delinquency. We analyze the punishment differences around the world, and find that European countries and the US tend to punish strictly while China tends to go the other way on the first three kinds of issues. For juvenile delinquencies, all countries punish youth criminals lightly.

The Expert Opinion Section.  An Interview with Mr. Edward B.Talbot, Senior Principal at Globalstar Solutions, a consulting firm developing innovative and comprehensive cyber security solutions. Mr. Talbot thinks that for cyber security we need first principles to measure (ideally) or at least bound (alternatively) our understanding of risk and threat. These first principles must be applied from the ground up (gates) and down (humans). For example, formal methods can be used for software verification and for measuring information flows. He thinks that Byzantine fault tolerance techniques can be applied to both systems and humans.

The Book Review Section. The book reviewed: Computer Security Fundamentals, Second Edition by William (Chuck) Easttom (ISBN: 978-0-7897-4890-4). Reviewed by Adolfo S. Coronado (Indiana University - Purdue University Fort Wayne, USA).  Dr. Coronado thinks that this book is targeted as a resource for individuals seeking for an introductory primer on computer security. It is also well suited for a one semester college course in computer security.

Faruk Arslan
Department of Accounting and Information Systems
College of Business
The University of Texas at El Paso
Mobile: 00 1 915 227 4889