[AISWorld] On quality of journals and quality of reviews !

mmora at securenym.net mmora at securenym.net
Tue Oct 15 19:59:56 EDT 2013

Dear colleagues,
In past weeks, a strong and relevant debate on the academic influence
of ISI listed journals was discussed in this forum. Well, on same ideas
I wonder whether there are studies on the quality of the reviewers (e.g.
level of seniority, level of expertise in the topic, level of expertise
on research methods, and in particular on the role played as peers
seeking to improve the advance of science and suggesting clear insights
rather some simple elaborations of flaws without any rational justification).
In summary, are we living in a spiral of hard reviewers and bad researchers?
or rather the opposite one is the reality? I am sure that Senior researchers
will have reviewed rare reviews from people with less expertise and seniority
level, so comments on it are welcome ! Of course, this non ethical practice
should be eliminated. As a funny real history, a Mexican top researcher
in Education received a strong critique on the null value of paper that
he wrote, and the suggestion was to use some papers writen by him in the
past (of course, the reviewers did know it). I know of other cases similar
cases. Well, sciences is about truthness but wrong reviews maybe are now a
real headache ! Cheers !
Manuel Mora
ACM Senior Member