[AISWorld] On quality of journals and quality of reviews

Parsons, David D.P.Parsons at massey.ac.nz
Wed Oct 16 16:06:40 EDT 2013

I have been a journal editor in chief for the last 5 years and am increasingly annoyed by authors who criticise reviewers. Here are some excerpts from an email I received from an author who's paper I rejected after review:

"What kind of paper are you running down there?... we take the time and effort to develop the paper further, and now you are referring to technical issues of selection and limited space ??? Just disrespectful !!!....who is this third reviewer? This guy is obviously biased... this BS reviewer should be discarded as an outlier"

More recently I was pressured by a well-known author in my field to publish a paper that I rejected on the grounds that I felt its focus was wrong for the journal. I offered suggestions for refocusing the article so it could be considered but he kept coming back to me trying to argue that his paper was fine as it was.

The too-common perception seems to be that somehow editors and reviewers are paid lackeys of the publishers, rather than academics voluntarily trying to do their bit for their research community, usually in the evenings and at the weekends since these tasks are over and above our normal duties. I rely heavily on a relatively small core of reviewers to carry an increasingly heavy peer reviewing responsibility.

I wholeheartedly agree with Murray that "it seems everyone wants/has to author papers and few have the desire/time to review." All academics should review on a  regular basis. Just having your name listed on an editorial board is not enough.

Dave Parsons

Message: 10