[AISWorld] Funded Ph.D. positions at the University of Michigan School of Information available for study of CSCW, HCI and Social Computing

Lionel Robert lprobert at umich.edu
Wed Nov 20 15:55:15 EST 2013

We are looking for new doctoral students who want to train with our large
and growing cadre of HCI and social computing faculty. We investigate
theoretical and practical questions about how computing and communication
technologies can enhance individual and collective capabilities and change
social relations. We use methods ranging from design of new technologies to
participant observation, surveys, data mining, and lab and field
experiments.

Current and incoming faculty with primary appointments in the School of
Information and active research in HCI and social computing include:

--Mark Ackerman

--Eytan Adar

--Yan Chen

--Kevyn Collins-Thompson

--Nicole Ellison

--Tom Finholt

--Pedja Klasnja

--Erin Krupka

--Cliff Lampe

--Silvia Lindtner

--Qiaozhu Mei

--Markus Mobius

--Mark Newman

--Joyojeet Pal

--Katharina Reinecke

--Paul Resnick

--Lionel P. Robert Jr.

--Tanya Rosenblat

--Stephanie Teasley

--Sarita Yardi Schoenebeck

The problems and opportunities of contemporary information use have both
social and technical aspects, so we approach our research from a highly
interdisciplinary perspective. The flexibility and scope of our doctoral
program attract students from a wide variety of disciplines. Our
world-class faculty have international reputations for cutting-edge
research in human-computer interaction, social computing, experimental
economics, digital archiving, health informatics, and more.

Admissions are highly competitive, but all admitted students receive a
generous funding package that includes tuition, stipend, and health
benefits. More information on the Ph.D. program is available on our
website: https://www.si.umich.edu/content/phd. The application deadline is
December 15.

--
Lionel P. Robert Jr.