[AISWorld] Call for Chapters: The Changing Nature of Work and the Evolving Workplace

Jungwoo Lee jlee at yonsei.ac.kr
Thu Nov 28 02:17:33 EST 2013

Call for Chapters

The Changing Nature of Work and the Evolving Workplace

Editor: Jungwoo Lee, Professor, Yonsei University

Schedule

Chapter proposal due:            December 20, 2013 (300 words)

Proposal acceptance:              December 31, 2013

Full chapter due:                      February 28, 2014

Review notification:                 March 31, 2014

Revision due:                           May 15, 2014

Final acceptance:                      May 31, 2014

Final version due: June 30, 2014

Publication:                               Fall 2014

Contact: c4workscience at gmail.com

Introduction

The ‘Information Revolution’ brings about changes in the nature of work, and workplaces are evolving as a result of these changes. Institutions and cultures, as well as technologies and practices, are undergoing tremendous changes with the rapid advance of information and communication technologies (ICT) into the business and work of    ordinary people. ICT affects not only where we work and how we work but also what we do with whom. New patterns of digitally mediated communications are rapidly emerging and are changing the way we collaborate, coordinate and cooperate. By delegating the routine tasks to machines, people are driven to focus more on knowledge-based tasks.

Objectives

The focus of this edited book will be on ‘work’ and ‘changing nature of work due to ICT,’ including the content and related processes of work, as well as the coordinating mechanisms and organizations. As the nature of work is deeply embedded in the fabric of our society and life, when its nature changes with the advance of technologies, the implicit and explicit rules and institutions of our society change, as well as cultures and lives of people, including the way we assess performance, manage careers, and educate younger generations.

Thus, we invite you to submit insights, frameworks, cases and research contributions concerning the changing nature of work and the evolving workplace. The scope will be shaped by the imaginations of authors and their creative contributions to the topic. The proposal is open to different investigative approaches including conceptual, organizational, behavioral, economic, social and technological ones. Submissions of manuscripts dealing with interdisciplinary issues across political and strategic lines, as well as social and technological issues, are strongly encouraged.

Topics include (but are not limited to):

l  Virtualization of work, Virtual teams

l  New work processes and structure, Emerging patterns of work

l  New Work Design Theory

l  Gamefication, Intensification, and/or Fragmentation of Work

l  Digital mediation, Computer mediated communications

l  Alternative Work Arrangements, Telecommuting, Flexible time, Mobile Work

l  Open collaboration, crowd sourcing, open innovation, open platform

l  Future of professions, e-Lancing, Precarious Work

l  Knowledge-intensive business services, jobs, works, and tasks

l  Job crafting, Job design and Job management

l  Participatory business enterprises, Contribution of Users/Consumers

l  Smart Service Innovation, Product service systems, Servicization

l  Creative hubs, smart work centers

l  Work systems, methods, processes

l  Knowledge intensive business services

l  Unified Communications, Workstations

Submission Procedure

Academics and practitioners are invited to submit a brief chapter proposal (300 words) clearly outlining and explaining the area of focus, objective and content of the proposed chapter to c4workscience at gmail.com, any time before December 20, 2013. Authors of accepted proposals will be notified about the status of their proposals. All submitted chapters will be reviewed on a double-blind review basis. Contributors may also be requested to serve as reviewers.

Publisher

This book is scheduled to be published by a renowned international published. Contracts are under negotiation. It will be announced as soon as possible. Publication is anticipated to be released in 2014.