[AISWorld] Seeking ecological theory

Cecil Eng Huang Chua aeh.chua at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jan 9 16:25:44 EST 2014

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could offer suggestions.

I'm looking for a theory that would have roots in ecology or a biology-like metaphor.  This would be a theory suitable to the project-level of analysis.

What I have is data that demonstrates how certain factors in the organization's environment decide characteristics of the technologies it adopts.  In the same way, in a forest, we see grass and short trees at the beginning, followed by taller trees, the death of grass, and then even taller trees.  In a savannah, we do not see this.  I want to be able to say things like sunlight, moisture level, ambient air temperature, etc. determine whether the environment will be a savannah or a forest, and if a savannah in the long term, the savannah will look like this.  In the long term, the forest will look like this.

Basically what I want is a theory that says: factors influence type, type determines evolutionary path.

Some theories I've tinkered with and rejected and the reasons for rejection:

Population ecology.  The basic theory as used in management/IS looks at births and deaths of organizations as proxies for species survival.  The unit of analysis is homogeneous.  But what I want to talk about is a technology landscape.  There are trees.  There are things that live in trees.  The competition between red and gray squirrels isn't as important to the story I want to tell.

Resource dependency theory.  The focus is on resources.  I have factors/influences like external regulatory environment that aren't really resources.

Various competitive economic models (e.g., hawks and doves).  Again, competition isn't really part of the story.  Its more about things like resources in the environment (but not just resources).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Cecil Chua