[AISWorld] Special Issue on New Media, Technology and Organizing, Scandinavian Journal of Management

Ioanna Constantiou ic.itm at cbs.dk
Sun Jan 19 12:07:51 EST 2014

***Apologies for cross-posting***

Special Issue on New Media, Technology and Organizing, in Scandinavian Journal of Management

http://www.journals.elsevier.com/scandinavian-journal-of-management/call-for-papers/special-issue-on-new-media-technology-and-organizing/

Deadline, May 31st 2014

The growing social involvement of the Internet has over the last two decades brought about significant organizational and economic changes. Novel work practices and consumption habits have emerged along modes of sociality and communication epitomized by the diffusion of social media. New breeds of products and services have been made available across context of use and information sources as the opportunities of mixing, aggregating and disseminating digital content have grown. Underpinned by the rapid diffusion of software applications, fast network infrastructure and potent portable devices, these trends have helped establish a global digital ecosystem of services, transactions and communications.
As the outcome of these developments, organizations have over the last few decades undergone significant transformations. Information-based tasks have been lifting out of backstage operations to increasingly become carriers and media of strategic intent. These shifts have been occasioned by deliberate organizational strategies, the upshot of haphazard events and technological developments or by the combination of both. The trends we pinpoint are most distinctively shown in the rise of companies whose identity and business operations are bound up with the production, reduction, repackaging and dissemination of information (e.g. Google, Amazon). They are also manifested by the diffusion of new organizational forms that have significantly drawn on social networks and mass collaboration (e.g. Wikipedia, Facebook, open source software development). More recent developments such as those conveyed by the terms ‘cloud computing’, ‘crowdsourcing’, ‘business analytics’ and ‘big’ or ‘open’ data further reinforce the developments we refer to.
These observations indicate that the emerging digital ecosystem entails more than just incremental developments in production methods and technologies by means of which organizations seek to improve the accomplishment of their goals. Indeed, the very process of organizing and the essence or ontology of organization are often at stake. The boundary between organizations and their environments is increasingly blurred as is the conduit through which organization-environment exchanges occur.
The objective of the special issue is to bring together contributions that explore the changes we pinpoint from varying perspectives. It is often the case that technologies and technological phenomena are studied inside an organization. Insightful as such studies often are, they do not necessarily connect with the core issues of management and organizing occasioned by the technology developments we refer to. The degree and scope of the technological changes we pinpoint suggest that their local manifestations are embedded into wider networks of forces and constituencies. We therefore invite contributions that take into account the following considerations:
1.      The forces connecting local solutions with developments active at a much larger scale permeated by social media, social networks and large scale or time ridden collaborative arrangements or strategies.
2.      The constitution of organizations and organizing and the ways it is linked to information, digital content and social media.
3.      The conditions that shape organizational strategies such as platform building and platform management and the ways these are related to the developments we pinpoint.
We welcome both theoretical and empirical papers and we are happy to consider empirical works across the methodological spectrum of quantitative and qualitative research.
Submission Guidelines and Important Dates:
The deadline for submissions is May 31st 2014 and should be submitted via the journal’s online submission system available through the journal homepage
http://www.elsevier.com/locate/scaman
or directly via http://ees.elsevier.com/sjm/ ‐ choosing “SI: New Media” as the paper type.
Before submission, please consult the journal guidelines for authors at:

http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/872/authorinstructions

Additional information can be obtained from either of the guest editors:
Jannis Kallinikos, London School of Economics: J.Kallinikos at lse.ac.uk
Aleksi Aaltonen, Hanken School of Economics, Helsinki: V.A.Aaltonen at lse.ac.uk
Ioanna Constantiou, Copenhagen Business School: ic.itm at cbs.dk

Ioanna Constantiou