[AISWorld] CFP: MIS Quarterly Special Issue: Transformational Issues of Big Data and Analytics in Networked Business

Jan DeGross degro003 at umn.edu
Mon Feb 3 15:05:30 EST 2014

MIS Quarterly Special Issue: Transformational Issues of Big Data and
Analytics in Networked Business

Guest Editors: Bart Baesens, KU Leuven, Belgium (Bart.Baesens at kuleuven.be)
Ravi Bapna, University of Minnesota, U.S.A. (rbapna at umn.edu)
James R. Marsden, University of Connecticut (jmarsden at business.uconn.edu)
Jan Vanthienen, KU Leuven, Belgium (Jan.Vanthienen at kuleuven.be)
J. Leon Zhao, City University of Hong Kong, China (jlzhao at cityu.edu.hk)

Submission deadline: October 1, 2014

We need to develop and enhance analytic methods appropriate for big data
that challenge the current corporate infrastructure in terms of data
volume, data variety, data change velocity and veracity. We need
fundamental research on how big data and big data analytics are likely
to impact management structures and processes, organizations, and
society. From the firm perspective, key questions include optimal
collection, management, integration, analysis and exploitation of big
data. From the individual perspective, issues include privacy and
ethical use as compared to benefits from personalization. From the
government perspective, issues related to privacy, protection of
individual rights, and national security all arise as big data
collection and analytics expand.

What links the challenges together are the fundamental underlying
questions on how IS techniques, processes, and controls can help address
the various research issues. We organize the special issue not by
perspectives, but by the following four key topic areas, each of which
cuts across multiple perspectives, with the understanding that IS is at
the heart of successfully addressing each issue:

• Area 1: Techniques, processes, and methods for collecting and
analyzing big data
• Area 2: Impact of big data availability and analytics on IS and
information governance
• Area 3: Privacy, rights, and security
• Area 4: New applications

To view the full Call for Papers, go to the MIS Quarterly website at
http://www.misq.org