[AISWorld] How IT/IS Can Transform Healthcare - Call for Papers, Cutter IT Journal

San Murugesan san at computer.org
Tue Feb 11 15:17:06 EST 2014

Hello,

For your information. Below is the call for papers for the upcoming Cutter
IT Journal <http://www.cutter.com/itjournal.html>  issue on How IT Can
Transform Healthcare <http://www.tinyurl.com/hitcfp>  guest edited by
<http://www.cutter.com/meet-our-experts/murugesans.html> San Murugesan

§  Abstract Submission Due: 14 February 2014

§  Articles Due: 21 March 2014

You may consider contributing an article to this issue.

Best Regards

San

Professor San Murugesan

Editor-in-Chief, IEEE  <http://www.computer.org/itpro> IT Professional

Editor,  <http://www.computer.org/computer> Computer and Cloud Cover column

Director, BRITE Professional Services

Adjunct Professor, University of Western Sydney

Sydney

Web:  <http://tinyurl.com/sanbio> http://tinyurl.com/sanbio

Twitter:  <http://twitter.com/santweets> @santweets
Linked-In:  <http://tinyurl.com/sanlinks> http://tinyurl.com/sanlinks

--------------------------

How IT Can Transform Healthcare
http://www.tinyurl.com/hitcfp

Transforming healthcare is a key priority for public and private healthcare
providers and governments. But the healthcare industry is facing major
challenges in delivering quality healthcare services at affordable costs.
How can IT transform healthcare? There has been progress in applying IT in
healthcare in areas such as telemedicine, mobile health, electronic medical
records (EMR) and healthcare portals. There is greater potential, however,
particularly considering ongoing advances in RFID, Internet of Things (IoT),
mobile devices and wireless communications, social media, nanotechnology,
robotics, data analytics, context-aware systems and smart applications.

Healthcare IT is both promising and challenging to IT professionals,
managers and executives. Only through the prudent design, development and
implementation of healthcare IT initiatives that are aligned with healthcare
procedures, practices and objectives will bring about the transformation
needed for superior healthcare delivery. And there is growing concern among
stakeholders over the risks of increasing reliance on IT for healthcare,
including resilience, security, privacy, and availability.

In an upcoming issue of Cutter IT Journal we will explore the potential of
healthcare IT and examine how we can address the issues and challenges that
IT and the healthcare industry face in realizing the promise of IT. We are
also interested in learning how the strategies and lessons learned by
healthcare IT professionals could be applied by IT professionals in other
industries.

Topics may include, but are not limited to, the following:

1.      What is the promise of emerging technologies in healthcare such as
clinical decision support, visual diagnosis, RFID, IoT, biometrics, body
sensors and actuators, social Media, 3D printing, context aware systems and
applications, and personalized medicine?

2.      How is mobile technology changing healthcare? What is its impact on
healthcare from the provider and community perspective?

3.      How can IT help reduce medical errors and improve the efficiency and
effectiveness of healthcare delivery?

4.      How might ePrescription and EMR evolve in the near future?

5.      How can IT help improve safety and quality of care for patients?
What are the ongoing advances in assistive technologies and systems?

6.      How can the strategies/lessons learned by IT professionals in the
healthcare industry be applied by IT professionals in other industries?

7.      What are the special requirements of healthcare clouds and how can
clouds be better utilized for healthcare?

8.      How can data analytics - descriptive, prescriptive and predictive
analytics - be exploited for better healthcare?

9.      How can IT help in integrating and coordinating fragmented and
relatively uncoordinated healthcare services? How can we address the
underlying issues in realizing coordinated healthcare delivery?

10.  What are the issues in sharing healthcare data, and how can we address
them? Are there any data standards that we can embrace?

11.  What are the best ways to analyze large volumes of patient data to
track trends, identify best practices, and determine the best treatments?

12.  What are the major challenges and barriers facing IT professionals and
healthcare IT departments in embracing IT to advance healthcare?

13.  What role can a Chief Medical Information Officer (CMIO) play?

14.  What is your business case for transforming healthcare using IT?

15.  Is there any framework for formulating a healthcare IT strategy for
small, medium and large healthcare establishments?

16.  What are the trust, security and privacy issues in healthcare IT
applications, and how can they be addressed?

17.  How can IT, social media and mobile devices be used to empower patients
and create healthcare awareness among the public? What is the potential of
crowd sourcing in healthcare?

18.  How do developing countries embrace mobile devices and IT in innovative
ways to meet their unique needs within the constraints they face?

19.  What have we learned from the failures -- and deployment -- of
healthcare.gov? How can we do it better?

20.  What can IT professionals and executives in healthcare IT learn from
the success of IT-enabled transformation in banking, commerce,
travel/tourism, and government services sectors?

TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE IDEA

Please respond to San Murugesan at smurugesan[at]cutter[dot]com, with a copy
to cgenerali[at]cutter[dot]com no later than 14 February 2014 and include an
extended abstract and a short article outline showing major discussion
points.

ARTICLE DEADLINE

Accepted articles are due by 21 March 2014.

EDITORIAL GUIDELINES

Most Cutter IT Journal articles are approximately 2,500-3,000 words long,
plus whatever graphics are appropriate. If you have any other questions,
please do not hesitate to contact CITJ's Group Publisher, Christine Generali
at cgenerali[at]cutter[dot]com or the Guest Editor, San Murugesan at
smurugesan [at]cutter[dot]com.
<http://www.cutter.com/content-and-analysis/journals-and-reports/cutter-it-j
ournal/edguide.html> Editorial guidelines are available online.

COPYRIGHT

When you submit an article to Cutter Consortium, you warrant that you (or
your employer) are the sole owner of the article and that you have full
power and authority to copyright it and publish it. Also, the article you
submit to Cutter must be an original; not previously published elsewhere.

Articles published in the journal must meet certain criteria relating to
audience, technical content, and presentation. In the unlikely occurrence
that, upon selection and editorial review, your completed article does not
meet with these requirements, Cutter Consortium reserves the right to
decline the publishing of your article in the journal.

For more information, see
<http://www.cutter.com/content-and-analysis/journals-and-reports/cutter-it-j
ournal/edguide.html> Cutter's copyright policy.

AUDIENCE

Typical readers of CITJ range from CIOs and vice presidents of software
organizations to IT managers, directors, project leaders, and very senior
technical staff. Most work in fairly large organizations: Fortune 500 IT
shops, large computer vendors, and government agencies. 48% of our
readership is outside of the US (15% from Canada, 14% Europe, 5%
Australia/NZ, 14% elsewhere). Please avoid introductory-level, tutorial
coverage of a topic. Assume you're writing for someone who has been in the
industry for 10 to 20 years, is very busy, and very impatient. Assume he or
she will be asking, "What's the point? What do I do with this information?"
Apply the "So what?" test to everything you write.

PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITIES

We are pleased to offer Journal authors a year's complimentary subscription
and five copies of the issue in which they are published. In addition, we
occasionally pull excerpts, along with the author's bio, to include in our
bi-weekly Cutter Edge e-mail bulletin, which reaches another 8,000 readers.
We'd also be pleased to quote you, or passages from your article, in Cutter
press releases. If you plan to be speaking at industry conferences, we can
arrange to make copies of your article available for attendees of those
speaking engagements -- furthering your own promotional efforts.

ABOUT CUTTER IT JOURNAL

No other journal brings together so many cutting-edge thinkers, and lets
them speak so bluntly and frankly. We strive to maintain the Journal's
reputation as the "Harvard Business Review of IT." Our goal is to present
well-grounded opinion (based on real, accountable experiences), research,
and animated debate about each topic the Journal explores.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS CALL FOR PAPERS TO ANYONE WHO MIGHT HAVE AN APPROPRIATE
SUBMISSION.