[AISWorld] 2014 Google Summer of Code

Matt Germonprez germonprez at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 09:59:29 EST 2014

 Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to invite your undergraduate and graduate students to
participate in the 2014 Google Summer of Code. Program details can be found
here: https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014

***Student stipends have historically been $5,500*

 As part of the Google Summer of Code 2014, the University of Nebraska at
Omaha's College of Information Science and Technology (
http://www.unomaha.edu/college-of-information-science-and-technology) will
mentor students interested in the design and development of open source
projects associated with the Linux Foundation's efforts on open compliance.
In particular, we will mentor projects associated with the advancement of
the Software Package Data Exchange (SPDX) standard (http://www.spdx.org).

More information about specific projects we are involved in can be found
here:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/gsoc-2014-spdx-projects

***Development skills can include: RDF, JSON, Java, PHP, Python, MySQL, and
Linux (Ubuntu 12.04)*

Our participation in the GSoC is part of the National Science Foundation
funded project (NSF VOSS - IOS Grant: 1122642) regarding organizational
participation in open source communities. The University of Nebraska at
Omaha's College of Information Science and Technology is committed to the
theoretical, practical, and educational advancement of open source
engagements.

I encourage you to have you or your students contact me (Matt Germonprez)
directly (germonprez at gmail.com) to initiate a conversation regarding the
2014 Google Summer of Code, specifically focusing on open compliance and
SPDX efforts. If there is enough initial interest, I would be happy to run
an online workshop to provide additional detail regarding open compliance,
the SPDX standard, and the landscape of participants in this open source
community.

***Student Applications begin March 10th, 2014*

I believe this is an exciting opportunity to improve open source design and
development skills, participate in a vibrant open source community, and
uncover the interesting complexities associated with organizational
participation in open source communities. I look forward to hearing from
you and your students.

Regards,
Matt Germonprez
--
Mutual of Omaha Associate Professor of Information Systems
University of Nebraska at Omaha