[AISWorld] One More Time: CALL FOR BIDS to Chair AMCIS 2018 by May 15, 2014

Carte, Traci A. tcarte at ou.edu
Mon Mar 24 17:07:49 EDT 2014

AMCIS (the Americas Conference on Information Systems) is an annual conference facilitated by the Association for Information Systems (AIS) and typically held in early August.  The Site Advisory Committee (SAC) of the AMCIS Executive Committee solicits preliminary bids from individuals or teams interested in chairing the AMCIS 2018 conference in New Orleans, LA (or in some other location in AIS Region 1).  You are invited to submit your expressions of interest by completing the bid form at: http://start.aisnet.org/?AMCISIntenttoBid

Because most of the conference arrangements are now handled by the AIS Office, it is no longer necessary for conference chairs to reside in the proposed conference location. It is more important that conference chairs be interested in organizing and leading a team of creative individuals dedicated to designing a great conference experience.

AIS Staff have collected data about desirable cities for future conferences and their fit with our needs. Using this data and data provided by local hotels, the Site Advisory Committee has selected New Orleans as a desirable location for AMCIS 2018. At the same time, per the AMCIS Bid procedures, interested individuals may submit bids to chair AMCIS 2018 in any location in the Americas Region.

New Orleans is a desirable city to visit (even in August, since we will be inside in air-conditioned comfort during the heat of the day), offers reasonably easy access for participants, has suitable conference facilities for AMCIS in at least two competing hotels, and is offering reasonable prices for the conference and the attendee.  We are hopeful that one or more individuals or teams will volunteer to chair AMCIS in New Orleans.  At the same time, per the AMCIS bid procedures, bids may be submitted for ANY conference location in the Americas Region.

Site Selection Procedures for AMCIS can be found on the AIS website at http://start.aisnet.org/?AMCISSiteSelection<http://start.aisnet.org/?AMCISSiteSelection#Top%20Page>.

If you are interested in chairing AMCIS in 2018, we ask that you first complete the AIS Notice of Intent to Bid (NIB) form found at http://start.aisnet.org/?AMCISIntenttoBid no later than May 15, 2014. Completion of this form will notify us of your interest in chairing the conference. Once the form is received, you will be contacted by Lise Fitzpatrick, AIS Conference Director, who will provide you more information about our preferred hotels in New Orleans and answer any questions you have about preparing your bid and next steps in the process. PLEASE NOTE: Even if you are proposing to host AMCIS 2018 in a different city, you DO NOT NEED to contact any hotel/venue or convention/visitors bureau. Lise Fitzpatrick will handle initial communication with these contacts.

If you have any questions about chairing an AMCIS conference, please do not hesitate to contact me at  cbeath at mail.utexas.edu

Cynthia Beath
VP Meetings and Conferences and Chair of the Site Advisory Committee for AMCIS 2018
Professor Emerita, University of Texas at Austin

Traci Carte
Associate Professor of MIS
Associate Professor of Women and Gender Studies
University of Oklahoma
Norman, OK 73019
(405)325-0741