[AISWorld] Call For Participation on 2014 IEEE BigData Hackathon

Federica Paci paci at disi.unitn.it
Mon Mar 31 02:53:49 EDT 2014

Call For Participation on 2014 IEEE BigData Hackathon

About our hackathon
If you have an idea for using open data, want to find an interesting
project to contribute towards, learn about how to perform real-time data
analysis on well-known and popular platforms, or even simply want to see
what's happening behind the data, then do not hesitate to come and
participate our 24-hour BigData Hackathon!
No matter your skillset or interests, we are encouraging organizers to
foster opportunities for you to learn and contribute big data research in
service computing community grow.

How is our hackathon going to work?
This hackathon is a part of IEEE Congress on BigData (BigData 2014). It
aims to attract a diverse crowd of people from all over the world. The
scope of this hackathon is rather open and flexible! Participants can hack
on anything that involves big data, processes big data, or produces big
data.
We hope that the hackathon can provide an open platform for you to do some
interesting and innovative things. Each participant team is expected to
output your “hacked” deliverables, including but not limited to the
following forms:
	•	publish cloud-delivered big data analytic services.
	•	design new big graph mining algorithms.
	•	optimize performance and scalability of popular open-source platforms.
•	perform big data management on advanced hardware like in-memory,
solid-state drive and advanced network.
	•	develop mobile/web apps that leverage big data.
	•	visualize big data for better user experiences.
	•	propose standards or metrics for common and open data sets.

During the hackathon, participants should do one demo, brainstorm,
proposal, and the project presentation. Participants are highly encouraged
to share ideas! This could be via our BigData congress communication
channels on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/IEEE.TC.SVC) and twitter
(https://twitter.com/IEEETCSVC). So, let's get to know one another and
share what we are hacking on. There may be some challenges to making this
work: timezones, languages, culture... but who cares? We are problem
solvers, let's make it work and have fun!

We expect that you could benefit from our hackathon:
	•	Embrace and learn more about big data.
	•	Meet & network with tons of cool people around the world.
	•	Voice your opinion & share your ideas with the people and media
attending.
	•	Find out about interesting apps being created, and get to play around
with them as well.
	•	Help out with parts of the conceptualization, creation, design,
advertisement and testing of apps.

Have lots and lots of fun!

Call For Participation
Please submit your hackathon participation proposal via our ConfHub system
(http://www.confhub.com/Review.php?conuid=344)

Submitted proposal manuscripts will be limited to 2 (IEEE Proceedings
style) pages and REQUIRED to be formatted using the IEEE Proceedings
template in WORD or in Latex. The submitted proposals can only be in the
format of PDF or WORD. Submissions should include proposal title,
abstract, name of participants, their affiliations, and emails addresses.
Please particularly highlight the you hackathon’s motivation, contents,
and desired dataset and tools.

	•	Submission Deadline: April 15th, 2014
	•	Notification: April 22nd, 2014
	•	Camera-Ready: April 29th, 2014

Participants and Rules
	•	Each team should at least have one registration on IEEE BigData 2014.
•	Both students and professionals are both welcome! You can join the
hackathon if you:
	•	are an entrepreneur or technology enthusiast and want to see what’s
happening and learn
	•	are ready to wrangle raw data into something useful, crazy and fun
•	want to make amazing and intuitive products with awesome user
experience
	•	want to help the big data research in Service Computing community grow
•	have an idea for using common open datasets and popular platforms, or
want to contribute on a project
	•	want to present meaningful data visualizations
	•	We encourage the participants to construct some teams. Each team should
•	consist of 2-4 team members, including designers, software developers,
etc.
	•	have 24 hours to go from idea to working code.
	•	present a 3 minute working demo on the last date.
	•	Anarchy rules – No limit on API, programming languages, operating
systems or ideas. Come up with something awe-inspiring!
	•	For fairness, we will distinguish pure professional teams and student
teams with different criteria. However, mixed teams are extremely
encouraged!