[AISWorld] Reminder: Call for Short Papers for the 3rd Innovation in Information Infrastructures (III) Workshop

Petter Nielsen pnielsen at ifi.uio.no
Wed Jun 11 01:45:34 EDT 2014

3rd Innovation in Information Infrastructures (III) Workshop

13th - 16th October 2014

University of Oslo, Norway

Today's ICT solutions are becoming increasingly complex, inter-dependent and large-scale. ICTs are no longer developed and managed as stand-alone and monolithic systems, but are built and implemented as parts of something larger. Today's challenges are not about decomposing complicated requirements and deriving optimal technical designs, but grappling with the technological and organisational complexity that emerges from the heterogeneity of systems, actors involved, and the lack of control over other systems and components. These changes and the associated technological, social and organizational challenges continue to urge the need to deepen our understanding, and thus study, conceptualize and further theorise ICTs as Information Infrastructures
(II) rather than as small-scale and stand-alone Information Systems.

Building on the previous innovation in information infrastructures workshops (in 2006/2012 in USA and Edinburg), this workshop will focus on the broad range of information infrastructures in our society. The previous workshops thematically focused on visions of the future, knowledge infrastructures and how information infrastructures and related social, organizational and market forms innovate. Continuing these debates, this third workshop will particularly focus on theorising information infrastructures and ask how the complexity of information infrastructures challenges research methodologies. The project of theorising information infrastructures has over the last two decades helped to promote a shift in focus from standalone systems to large scale, complex information infrastructures. But we still need to mature our concepts and theories on e.g.: 1) processes of information infrastructure development and innovation; 2) evolutionary architectures and architecting, and 3) governance and control. We have also only seen the start of the maturing of methodological approaches taking into account the scale, scope and evolution of information infrastructures (such as Biography of Artefacts).

At the University of Oslo, the focus of information infrastructure studies and conceptualisations has primarily been the health domain. But solid information infrastructure concepts and sound methodological approaches must take into account the much broader nature of the information infrastructure phenomena. Thus, we call for contributions based on empirical research in any setting, such as for example social media, aviation and transportation, banking, cloud computing and the internet of things. And we encourage new forms of information infrastructures emerging, such as ecosystems, digital platforms and architectures (e.g. SOA).

** Deadline for submitting short papers: June 22nd 2014

** Keynotes:
Kalle Lyytinen
David Ribes
Youngjin Yoo
Jannis Kallinikos

** Themes
This workshop will bring together researchers with a genuine interest in theorising information infrastructures and developing methodological approaches to study them. We expect contributions based on empirical research from public and private sector, and from a range of different industries and domains and we call for contributions related to, but not limited to, the following themes:

Conceptualizing information infrastructures
- Development and innovation (e.g. scaling, balancing uniformity and heterogeneity, generativity, generification, multi-scale processes)
- Architecture (e.g. types and typologies of architecture and processes of architecting)
- Governance and control (e.g. governance structures and mechanisms of stability of change)

Methodological approaches to study information infrastructures
- Methodological challenges studying information infrastructures
- The adequacy of existing methodologies, how to make them fit and new approaches

** Submission
We accept short papers (3 to 4 pages) within the deadline. They must be submitted as Microsoft Word files as email attachment to iiios2014 at gmail.com. Please use "submission" in the subject field and indicate the name of the author(s) in the filename (e.g.
NielsenHanseth.doc).

** Important dates
- Deadline for submission of short papers: June 22nd 2014
- Decision of acceptance: July 20th 2014
- Final program available: September 25th 2014
- Workshop: October 13th to 16th 2014 (PhD-consortium on the 13th)

** Publications
Selected papers will be considered for publication in a book.
Other details

Please visit the workshop website for updated information:
https://www.mn.uio.no/ifi/english/research/news-and-events/events/conferences-and-seminars/iiios2014/index.html

** Workshop Committee
Gian Marco Campagnolo (University of Edinburg)
Ole Hanseth (University of Oslo)
Ola Henfridsson (Warwick Business School)
Joan Rodon Mòdol (ESADE Business School)
Eric Monteiro (Norwegian U. of Science and Tech.)
Petter Nielsen (University of Oslo)
Johan Sæbø (University of Oslo)
Carsten Sørensen (LSE)

--