[AISWorld] Contents of JITCAR (Journal of IT Case and Application Research), Volume 16, Number 1

Shailendra Palvia Shailendra.Palvia at liu.edu
Mon Jun 16 11:23:49 EDT 2014

Dear IS Colleagues around the world:

First, let me share great news. On February 1, 2014, Taylor & Francis Group (T&F) took over as the new publisher of the Journal of Information Technology Case and Application Research (JITCAR). T&F has been in existence since 1798 (more than 200 years) and publishes approximately 2000 journals.

In the editor's note for the previous JITCAR issue, I wrote, "As a returning EIC after six years, I need the support of the entire JITCAR editorial board in not only sustaining but elevating the
status of JITCAR further from the perspective of the community of scholars worldwide".  You will be happy to know that all associate editors, industry editors, all reviewers,
past editors-Drs. Steve Gordon and Suprateek Sarker-and all advisory editors have shown a true sense of cooperation and commitment to JITCAR's mission of continuing to be a world
class journal on all criteria: timely, high-quality, detailed reviews of manuscripts, high-quality expert opinion reports, high-quality book reviews, and intellectually stimulating editorial preface
articles. Our reviewers do superb work to sustain our high-quality journal.  To recognize the voluntary service of our reviewers, we are instituting annual recognition of three top reviewers and one
 top manuscript-one that contributes to adding new relevant knowledge with rigorous research methodology. I am requesting our advisory editors and associate editors to be on the panel of judges to determine each year the best manuscript and top three reviewers.

It gives me great pleasure to present this first issue of 2014, Volume 16. The contents of this issue are an editorial preface article by Celia Romm-Livermore; two research articles, one by Nathan Johnson, Yibai Li, Fengchun Tang, and Saonee Sarker, and the second by Steven Wallace, Keith Maxey, and Lakshmi S. Iyer; an expert opinion report by Nir Kshetri; and a book review
by Shahid Siddiqi.

Celia Romm-Livermore (this issue), in her editorial preface titled "E-Learning, Traditional Education, and the Corporatizing of Higher Education," focuses on a paradigm shift that is
brewing in the area of higher education. The first research article, "Are You Watching Me? A Look at Panoptic Perceptions Surrounding Computer Monitoring Systems" (Johnson, Li, Tang,
& Sarker, this issue), focuses on identifying factors through the lens of actor network theory that contribute to failure of computer monitoring systems. This is followed by a second research article,
titled "A Multi-Case Investigation of Electronic Health Record Implementation in Small- and Medium-Size Physician Practices" (Wallace, Maxey, &Iyer, this issue). This second article examines
factors for successful implementation of electronic health records (EHRs) within small- and medium-size physician practices (SMPPs) and the impact of EHR implementation on quality
within SMPPs.  The expert opinion report, "An Interview With Dr. Taro Komukai, Executive Director and Senior Consultant, InfoCom Research, Japan" by Nir Kshetri (this issue) emphasizes that Japan
is undergoing a significant transformation in its approach to data privacy and security protection.  Dr. Komukai explains the key elements of the framework for personal data protection in Japan,
recent developments on this front, similarity and differences of the Japanese framework with those of the European Union and the United States, the influence of the Japanese culture on the
regulatory framework, and key lessons for other economies from Japan's experience in developing a regulatory framework to protect privacy online. Finally, Shahid Siddiqi (this issue) provides
a detailed critique of the 2013 book, Strategies for High-Tech Firms: Marketing, Economic, and Legal Issues, co-authored by Professor P. M. Rao of Long Island University and Joseph A. Klein,
a Partner with the law firm FisherBroyles LLP.

As a returning Editor-in-Chief after six years, I am truly ecstatic about the support and cooperation I have received during the past 11 weeks from all members of the global editorial review
board. I look forward to continued support and cooperation from the JITCAR family.  We have few positions open for the role of JITCAR reviewer - anybody interested, please contact me.

Dr. Shailendra Palvia
Editor-in-Chief
Professor of MIS, College of Management
Long Island University Post, Brookville, NY 11801.
http://liu.edu/CWPost/Academics/Faculty/P/Shailendra
Palvia.aspx?rn=Faculty&ru=/CWPost/Academics/Faculty.aspx
World Conference Chairperson, Twelfth Annual International Smart Sourcing Conference www.outsourceglobal.org , Toronto, Canada, June 26-27, 2014
2012 LIU Post Nominee for Abraham Krasnoff Lifetime Scholarship Achievement Award Founding Editor and current EIC, Journal of IT Case and Applications Research (JITCAR), www.jitacr.org Phone #: 732-983-7034