[AISWorld] Is technology to blame for why are college students spending less time on their studies?

Niamh O Riordan niamhmoriordan at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 15:03:12 EDT 2014

Dear AIS mailing list members,

I am writing to request your thoughts on an issue that was raised in 2010 when Babcock and Marks published a study that documents declines in academic time investment by full-time college students in the US between 1961 and 2003 (see http://www.nber.org/papers/w15954#fromrss)

A number of commentators have theorised that the rise of the Internet in general and learning technologies in particular are partly to blame (though a number of commentators have pointed out that much of this decline had already taken place before the rise of email and the web) - see http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2010/05/college-students-are-working-less-hard-it-seems.html

From your own experience, can you please tell me whether or not you feel that today's students spend less time on their studies and can you please identify for me the factors that you think might explain the phenomenon (if we assume it exists and is widespread)? In particular, what role do you think different types of technologies are having on how students spend their study time and is this a good or bad thing?

I realise this is quite a specific question so if you'd prefer to reply directly via email, my details are below.

Best wishes,
Niamh ('Neve') O Riordan

Dr Niamh O Riordan PhD MBS HDip BA
Director of MSc in Finance & IS and Lecturer in Business Information Systems
Room 375, Cairnes School of Business and Economics | National University of Ireland Galway
T: +353 (0) 91 49-2847| E: niamh.oriordan at nuigalway.ie | W: www.niamhoriordan.com | L: ie.linkedin.com/in/niamhoriordan/