[AISWorld] Reminder:: Call for Papers for the The 13th International Conference on Social Implications of Computers in Developing Countries (IFIP9.4), Negombo, Sri Lanka, 2015

Petter Nielsen pnielsen at ifi.uio.no
Fri Aug 22 02:47:02 EDT 2014

IFIP Working Group 9.4: Social Implications of Computers in Developing Countries arranges its 13th working conference in Negombo, Sri Lanka,
20-22 May, 2015

KEY DATES
- Submissions Due: 3rd October 2014
- Notification of Acceptance: 22nd January 2015
- Resubmissions Due: 20th February 2015
- Conference: 20-22 May 2015

CONFERENCE THEME
Various discourses around "openness" are present in the domain of ICT and development studies. An initial discourse in this area related to open source software and open standards, and how these can strengthen public information systems in developing countries. In recent times, we read about "open data" which involve governments placing relevant data in the public domain, and which may or may not require to be supported by open software. Open development is a more overarching theme being positioned as a theory of development, focusing on understanding how information-networked activities are carried out, in what circumstances and to what benefit. This openness discourse continues to unfold in a political-technical environment of increasingly centralized computing (cloud), cyber-crime, cyber-terrorism and increasingly comprehensive surveillance.

The conference theme of "Openness in ICT4D: Critical reflections on future directions" will seek to critically discuss different facets of open and openness, whether they represent hype or reality or both, what promises they hold for creating a better world, and what are the challenges and approaches we face in achieving the promised potential.
To do this we welcome contributions from a wide range of perspectives, discussing for example potential tensions between open source and open data, the role of actors like the open society initiative in promoting openness as a value, and positive and negative freedoms.

CONFERENCE TRACKS
We invite those interested in participating to submit to one of the following tracks (see the conference website for more details):

- Themes, Insights and Agendas for ICT4D Research and Practice
- Graduate Student Track (please note optional early submission deadline)
- Open Innovation: Governance Models, Implementation Tools, Strategies and Outcomes
- Designing Open and Sustainable Technologies for Development
- Disasters and Climate Change, Role of ICTs, Challenges and Opportunities for Developing Regions
- Open Science for Development
- Development and ICT-enabled Well-Being
- Critical Reflections on Information Systems for Community Development
- Health Information System Architectures
- A Critical Understanding of ICT4D
- Open Government for Public Service Delivery: Critical Issues, Emerging Possibilities
- The Data Revolution in International Development
- ICT4D in Sri Lanka - Challenges, Opportunities and Solutions

SUBMISSIONS
Conference submissions will be by email to ifip9.4.2015 at gmail.com. All papers will be blind peer-reviewed before acceptance, and the conference proceedings will be published. We accept both Full Research Papers (maximum 5000 words) and Research in Progress/Practitioner Reports of Experience and Reflection (maximum 2500 words). See the conference website for details on the submission format.

CONFERENCE COMMITTEE
Conference Chairs:	Sundeep Sahay, University of Oslo
			Chamli Pushpakumara, University of Kelaniya
Programme Chairs:	Petter Nielsen, University of Oslo
			Gamini Wijayarathna, University of Kelaniya

FURTHER INFORMATION
http://www.ifipwg94.org/ifip-conference-2015

--
Petter Nielsen