[AISWorld] debte on what is good enough for a D

Prof. Samuel I. Lubbe LubbeS at unizulu.ac.za
Fri Nov 14 02:19:05 EST 2014

By D I mean a doctorate sorry

From: AISWorld [mailto:aisworld-bounces at lists.aisnet.org] On Behalf Of Prof. Samuel I. Lubbe
Sent: 14 November 2014 08:28 AM
To: AISWorld at lists.aisnet.org
Subject: [AISWorld] debte on what is good enough for a D

Hi all

There is a current debate on at our university on what is good enough for a d. A certain prominent author noted a year ago at a faculty conference that a model can be taken applied to a new environment and then a D be awarded. I think that this type of thinking might be dated (?). I might differ with this concept as personally I think that this kind of thinking might constitute a good masters.

I believe a D should be unique. In other words, take a model, see what would make it work and then change and adapt it to the environment it should be used in or create a new model. If one compares and uses the application one should show that the playing fields were equal - if not then what should be done to make it work.

I would like to find out what criteria other universities are using as we are in the process of trying ensure that our doctorates are on par with others at other universities and they can compete for better appointments or stay in academia and contribute to the body of knowledge.

Any thoughts on this?

Regards

Sam