[AISWorld] interesting

Fedorowicz, Jane jfedorowicz at bentley.edu
Fri Nov 21 11:08:43 EST 2014

Since I was not terribly familiar with the term predatory journal, I looked up the topic to see how widespread a problem it is. To my surprise, there are very long lists of both publishers and journals that do not provide the editing and review process they profess, and hit authors up for substantial publication fees for appearing in these open access journals. A well-regarded librarian with an interest in open access journals has assembled a web site of those who fulfill the definition of predatory. He wrote an article in Nature about the rise of predatory journals as a result of the open access movement that you can read here: http://www.nature.com/news/predatory-publishers-are-corrupting-open-access-1.11385

The criteria for a journal being considered predatory can be found here: http://scholarlyoa.com/individual-journals/ .

Here is a link to a list of publishers who are or are likely to be predatory: http://scholarlyoa.com/publishers/
Here is a link to a list of journals which are or are likely to be predatory: http://scholarlyoa.com/individual-journals/

I get many requests every week to publish in journals I never heard of. I get many other requests to join editorial boards of this kind of journal. Please join me in relegating all of these to the junk mail folder and support the  journals that reflect the best of the open access concept.

Jane Fedorowicz, PhD
Immediate Past President, Association for Information Systems
Chester B. Slade Professor of Accounting and Information Systems
Bentley University
Waltham, MA USA