[AISWorld] JAIS 2014 Volume 15, Special Issue (November) Contents

JAIS JAIS at comm.virginia.edu
Sun Nov 23 17:01:26 EST 2014

Contents of Volume 15, Special Issue (November) Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS) Official Publication of the Association for Information Systems

Published: Monthly Electronically
ISSN: 1536-9323

Published by the Association for Information Systems, Atlanta, USA http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/<https://dm2prd0112.outlook.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=l2LO-9kcXkqrzpceuB5WJ1NFYghqkNAIDXCBaps0xmXq942VPf2xnTQHuUx5nURd2_kC7mV8U9M.&URL=http%3a%2f%2faisel.aisnet.org%2fjais%2f>

Editor-in-Chief:  Professor Suprateek Sarker, University of Virginia, USA

We are pleased to publish a guest editorial this month by past JAIS Editor-in-Chief, Shirley Gregor, and JAIS SE, Gary Klein, regarding theory testing.  Also included in this issue is a Special Issue on The Role of Information Systems in Enabling Open Innovation with guest editors, Eoin Whelan, Kieran Conboy, Kevin Crowston, Lorraine Morgan, and Matti Rossi.

Guest Editorial

Eight Obstacles to Overcome in the Theory Testing Genre

Shirley Gregor, Australian National University

Gary Klein, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs

Abstract

Theory testing work is popular in information systems (IS), with many studies using questionnaires, experiments, or other methods to gather quantitative data and test hypotheses with statistical techniques. This editorial note highlights some of the obstacles that theory testing researchers face, and assists authors so that their papers will not be rejected outright on submission, nor slowed unnecessarily in the review process. In particular, we identify three obstacles relating to theorizing and five related to methods. We provide guidance on how authors can deal with each obstacle, and include examples of studies that have successfully addressed the obstacle. We hope that our editorial will encourage authors to take better note of these obstacles and to give further consideration to avoiding them when they plan and conduct their research studies.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol15/iss11/5/

Introduction to the Special Issue

Editorial: The Role of Information Systems in Enabling Open Innovation

Eoin Whelan, National University of Ireland Galway

Kieran Conboy, National University of Ireland Galway

Kevin Crowston, Syracuse University and US National Science Foundation

Lorraine Morgan, Lero, National University of Ireland Galway

Matti Rossi, Aalto University School of Business

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol15/iss11/4/

PAPER ONE
Organizational Learning with Crowdsourcing: The Revelatory Case of LEGO

Daniel Schlagwein, UNSW Australia Business School

Niels Bjorn-Andersen, Copenhagen Business School

Abstract

Extant organizational learning theory conceptualizes organizational learning as an internal, member-based process, sometimes supported by, yet often independent of, IT. Recently, however, several organizations have begun to involve non-members systematically in their learning by using crowdsourcing, a form of open innovation enabled by state-of-the-art IT. We examine the phenomenon of IT-enabled organizational learning with crowdsourcing in a longitudinal revelatory case study of one such organization, LEGO (2010-14). We studied the LEGO Cuusoo crowdsourcing platform's secret test in Japan, its widely recognized global launch, and its success in generating top-selling LEGO models. Based on an analysis of how crowdsourcing contributes to the organizational learning at LEGO, we propose the "ambient organizational learning" framework. The framework accommodates both traditional, member-based organizational learning and IT-enabled, non-member-based organizational learning with crowdsourcing.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:

http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol15/iss11/3/

PAPER TWO

Through the Printing Press: An Account of Open Practices in the Swedish Newspaper Industry

Claes Thor?n, Uppsala University

P?r J. ?gerfalk, Uppsala University

Mats Edenius, Uppsala University

ABSTRACT

Organizational practices that foster a dialogic relationship between organizations and their constituent customers have created an arena for inbound and outbound innovation. At the nexus of this development occurring in the media industries, these flows are carried by various forms of digital, social media and an increasing digital presence in the form of dynamic websites with varying degrees of interactive capabilities. In this paper, we posit that the newspaper industry is torn between indifference and cautious apprehension caused by the difficulty in marrying the journalism profession's carefully guarded gatekeeping practices with the revolving doors of open innovation. Gatekeeping has emerged as a fiercely defended cornerstone for the industry and the profession of journalism itself is not enough to distinguish amateurs from professionals; for the segregation between professionals and amateurs to carry weight rather than being reduced to a hollow title, the segregation needs a practice that explicitly enforces gatekeeping-where actions speak louder than titles. Against this backdrop, we pursue the following research question: Why has IT-enabled open innovation become such a contentious issue in the context of the newspaper industry? Combining contextual in-situ ethnographic interviews and observation with an industry-wide content analysis of Swedish newspaper websites, we present an in-depth view of what IT-enabled open innovation means in the context of the newspaper industry. Results show that the process of legitimization inscribed by a particularly charged information technology-the printing press-continues to exert great influence in what constitutes open practice in the newspaper industry.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol15/iss11/2/

PAPER THREE

IT-Enabled Knowledge Creation for Open Innovation

U. Yeliz Eservel, University of Groningen

ABSTRACT

Open innovation is increasingly important for researchers and practitioners alike. Open innovation is closely linked to knowledge creation in that, with open innovation, knowledge inflows and outflows are exploited for innovation. In the information systems field, open innovation has been closely linked to open source software development teams. However, the literature has not yet identified how open source software development teams use information technologies to create knowledge to bring about open innovation. This study fills in this gap by asking the following research questions: RQ1) How do innovative open source software development teams create knowledge?, and RQ2) What types of information technologies do innovative open source software development teams rely on for enabling knowledge creation? I answer these research questions with a revelatory case study. The findings contribute to the knowledge management theory by identifying how three of the four knowledge creation modes identified by Nonaka and Takeuchi (1995) manifest through different behaviors in the IT-enabled open innovation setting compared to behaviors observed in the organizational setting. The findings also contribute to information systems theory by identifying the role of information technologies in enabling knowledge creation for open innovation. This study further provides researchers and practitioners with ways of identifying knowledge creation by analyzing information technology artifacts, such as mailing lists, issue trackers, and software versioning tools.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol15/iss11/1/