[AISWorld] Save the Date: SCECR2015 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia!

Hill, Shawndra shawndra at wharton.upenn.edu
Wed Dec 17 16:46:49 EST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

If you are attending ICIS and have questions about SCECR 2015, come find us and we will do our best to answer.

Call for Papers
We invite submissions for the Eleventh Symposium on Statistical Challenges in eCommerce Research (SCECR 2015) to be hosted in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on June 23-25, 2015 at the Sheraton Addis (http://www.sheratonaddis.com).   Note: If you are likely to attend, please reserve your hotel now (or as soon as possible) using this link: https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/booking/reservation?id=1411112521&key=78BFCDD.  You will be able to cancel the hotel reservation without penalty until June 20, 2015.  You should not be charged until check-in.

Objective
In recent years, we have witnessed the emergence of a wide range of business and social models based on information technology-enabled data: from online retailing and online dating to crowdsourcing and crowdfunding. The growth of information technology and its subsequent permeation into social media, the corporate arena, public policy, and countless other fields has irrevocably changed the modern world. We now have a chance to harness the power of information technology and use it to encourage and create global and local projects for social good, including programs that stimulate developing economies, work to solve public health issues, and create positive change in communities from the grassroots to the global level.

In the current era, vast amounts of data on behaviors and events are now available that have not previously been accessible both in the developed and developing world. Researchers are collecting and using this data to address a variety of topics related to the social and economic impact of information technology enabled models. The purpose of this conference is to gather an interdisciplinary group of researchers interested in using empirical methods to derive insights from information technology-enabled data in a range of areas, in particular those that tackle questions of social good and data-driven decision-making.

We invite submissions of papers that highlight statistical challenges and empirical opportunities related to eCommerce research and related areas. This year’s theme, in line with the conference’s venue in Addis Ababa, home to Addis Ababa University (AAU),  the African Union(AU) and United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) , is “eCommerce for Social Good”.  The Symposium will take place for the first time in Africa, in the historical and rapidly evolving Addis Ababa. We encourage submissions on topics related to innovative business and social models and empirical approaches, particularly those that address the Symposium theme of social good.

We welcome submissions in a broad range of areas, including the digitization of media industries, online content distribution, electronic marketplaces, online social interactions, and search engine advertising, among others. We also welcome methodological contributions on statistical, data mining or other approaches motivated by data enabled by information technology, particularly those that contribute to social good. Submissions should highlight statistical/empirical challenges that arise in collecting, modeling, and converting such data into usable, practically applicable knowledge.

Submission Guidelines
Authors are invited to submit abstracts of their work for consideration at the conference. Abstracts should be a maximum of two pages, including text, references, figures, and tables, and should outline the research conducted as well as identify the statistical challenges associated with it. As this is a work-in-progress symposium, we will evaluate abstracts based on the fit of the research with the symposium’s goals and its ability to stimulate lively discussion around the particular empirical challenges and potential solutions. Submissions will be accepted starting November 1st.  Please submit abstracts online at https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=scecr2015. If you have not previously used Easy Chair, a short registration process is required.

Submission Length: 2 pages
Submission File Type: PDF (preferred)
Deadline for Submissions: February 1, 2015
Notification of Decisions: March 1, 2015
Conference Dates: June 23–25, 2015

Hope to see you in Addis!
SCECR 2015 Conference Co-Chairs
Ravi Bapna and Shawndra Hill