[AISWorld] Wanted: Good cases for teaching finance/accounting concepts to IT professionals

Brian Butler bsbutler at umd.edu
Mon Dec 22 20:56:08 EST 2014

Next semester I will be "resurrecting" a Masters level course survey of financial and accounting concepts for IT professionals.

An important part of this involves helping them see how the concepts relate to the kinds of decisions that they will be making -- so I am looking for good IS/IT cases that have a strong financial component.

Ones that I know about include:

  *   Wyndham International (HBS)
  *   CVS (financial evaluation of alternative process designs)
  *   SYSCO (evaluation of costs of business intelligence software arrangements)
  *   Zara (evaluating the status of the business -- in order to make effective decisions about IT upgrades)

Are there other good teaching cases (HBS or otherwise) that have students work through financial/accounting issues in the context of an IS/IT case?

Thanks
Brian Butler
University of Maryland