[AISWorld] Instructional simulation- silo thinking

Cecil Eng Huang Chua aeh.chua at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jan 14 22:37:05 EST 2015

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has used a good (preferably physical) instructional simulation on silos and silo thinking good for a classroom audience for under 15 people.

The kind of simulation I am thinking of is akin to BikeStuff by Keith Rollag http://jme.sagepub.com/content/29/5/769.abstract.  Basically the idea is to get students to talk about how IT tends to get separated from the organization, and how that is bad for understanding what the organization wants.

I would use BikeStuff, except it requires a minimum of 16 students.

By simulation, I mean preferably one where students physically move about or do something.  I am not averse to COMPUTER simulations, but would prefer a more physical activity.

This is targeted at an executive audience.

Thanks

Cecil Chua