[AISWorld] What is IS strategy and how to prepare strategic IS plans

John Artz jartz at gwu.edu
Sun Feb 8 09:30:25 EST 2015

Jeet,

I begin with the premise that strategy is a plan to solve a problem. While
this is not universally agreed upon, it mainstream enough. The problems in
marketing or operations are a little easier to understand as the problems
in IS/IT are all over the map. They can range from infrastructural, to HR,
to cost overruns, to lack of innovation, to failure to adapt to rapidly
changing technologies, etc. etc. This list is by no means complete, as they
are just examples. Nonetheless, a good way to approach IS/IT strategy is to
look at the range of problems, pick one or two, attempt to come up with
strategies to solve them and then just apply vanilla business strategy.

I hope this helps,

John

*John M. Artz, PhDWebpages: http://home.gwu.edu/~jartz
<http://home.gwu.edu/%7Ejartz>Email: jartz at gwu.edu <jartz at gwu.edu>*