[AISWorld] JAIS 2014 Volume 16, Issue 02 (February) Contents

JAIS JAIS at comm.virginia.edu
Mon Feb 23 11:11:35 EST 2015

Contents of Volume 16, Issue 0 (February) Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS), Official Publication of the Association for Information Systems

Published: Monthly Electronically
ISSN: 1536-9323
Published by the Association for Information Systems, Atlanta, USA (http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/)

Editor-in-Chief:  Professor Suprateek Sarker, University of Virginia, USA

PAPER ONE
Online Recommendation Systems in a B2C E-Commerce Context: A Review and Future Directions

Seth Siyuan Li, Clemson University

Elena Karahanna, University of Georgia

Abstract

An online recommendation system (RS) involves using information technology and customer information to tailor electronic commerce interactions between a business and individual customers. Extant information systems (IS) studies on RS have approached the phenomenon from many different perspectives, and our understanding of the nature and impacts of RS is fragmented. The current study reviews and synthesizes extant empirical IS studies to provide a coherent view of research on RS and identify gaps and future directions. Specifically, we review 40 empirical studies of RS published in 31 IS journals and five IS conference proceedings between 1990 and 2013. Using a recommendation process theoretical framework, we categorize these studies in three major areas addressed by RS research: understanding consumers, delivering recommendations, and the impacts of RS. We review and synthesize the extant literature in each area and across areas. Based on the review and synthesis, we surface research gaps and provide suggestions and potential directions for future research on recommendation systems.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:

http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol16/iss2/2/

PAPER TWO

Toward a Better Use of the Semantic Differential in IS Research: An Integrative Framework of Suggested Action

Tibert Verhagen, VU University Amsterdam

Bart van den Hooff, VU University Amsterdam

Selmar Meents, Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences-International Business School

Abstract

The semantic differential is a widely applied measurement technique in the information systems field. As we demonstrate in this study, however, there is evidence that many of the applications of the semantic differential seem to be subject to common shortcomings. In this study, we address these shortcomings by creating awareness of the requirements underlying semantic differentiation. We discuss the requirements of semantic differentiation and use them as a foundation to introduce a framework to assist researchers in applying the semantic differential more adequately. The framework puts renewed emphasis on bipolar scale selection and dimensionality testing, introduces semantic bipolarity as new criterion, and proposes distinct stages for the testing of wording and contextual contamination. We exemplify the framework using an illustration exercise, which centers on the assessment of the meaning of the concept "electronic marketplace quality". Using a mixture of qualitative and quantitative methods, the illustration exercise clarifies the prerequisites for semantic differentiation and provides suggestions for researchers. The paper concludes with a discussion of several methodological implications.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol16/iss2/1/