[AISWorld] More on journal cycle times

mmora at securenym.net mmora at securenym.net
Tue Mar 31 13:14:55 EDT 2015

AIS colleagues:
First of all, I appreciate totally comments from senior researchers who
know "the real inside situation" lived in top tier journals in our
discipline. I agree with Professor Stafford, who has a vast expertise as
EiC of top tier journals on this undesired situation, where it seems there
is not an easy solution for this messy academic problem in our discipline.
On plausible feasible solutions, awards for reviewers should be also
provided, but it is assumed implicitly for belonging to ERB of top
journals. In summary, it seems there is not a near and feasible solution
in our discipline, which runs the risks to be a closed system (papers
published only for gaining a PhD or a tenure track position or being read
mandatory by our graduate students) but rarely transferred to main
stakeholders (IT customers, IT users, IT community)). Of course, there are
exceptions in our discipline like Communications of the ACM, like one of
the best examples of top tier journals. Thanks, more comments are welcome!
Manuel Mora
PS. High quality reviewers should be able to qualify a paper in few hours,
like medical experts can establish a critical diagnosis on few ones (even
in minutes). Are our papers (in our discipline) so difficult to be
understood regarding the research papers in Chemistry, Health Sciences or
Biological Sciences?