[AISWorld] On review cycles in our discipline

mmora at securenym.net mmora at securenym.net
Wed Apr 8 20:09:28 EDT 2015

Thanks for senior academicians (with more than 30+ years of expertise)
publishing, reviewing and managing high quality journals from your
observations and comments. I would like to add some additional ones
and some inquiries respectfully:

#1 the review process (by being a voluntary, honorary and unfairly not
recognized academic activity) has suffered a performance degradation.

#2 the review process (by being highly variable) produces contrasted
reviews (acceptance and rejection for the same paper from different
reviewers), but the SE relies more on the negative evaluation. I mean,
paper might be conditioned, or SE could evaluate the correctness and
fairness of the review.

#3 SEs should be in a fast overview reading to identify the quality level,
and use only the extra detailed reviews as advises (in about 2-3 months).

Finally, when we review papers from top journals published in the 70's and
80's, it is clear that the relevance of contributions for a specific
context were strongly privileged. At present, the main criteria seems to
be: (i) to use a complex statistical technique, (ii) to collect data from
famous organizations, and (iii) to write with a highly academic style such
that IT practitioners cannot understand it.

Maybe a TASK FORCE from AIS created for addressing this problem and
generating academic recommendations for AIS accredited journals (rather
from ISI Reuters-Thomson company) can be part of the solution.

The permanent critique/inquiry is why in our discipline has happened it?
The seminal paper from Banville and Landry (1989):

Banville, C., & Landry, M. (1989). Can the Field of MIS be Disciplined?.
Communications of the ACM, 32(1), 48-60.

seems to provide reasons for it: we are community conformed with a varied
types of backgrounds and strongly shaped for multiple disciplines. Thus,
the variety of perspectives, styles, tones, values, methods, schools,
approaches produces more disagreements than agreements.

Well, thanks
Prof. Mora
Autonomous University of Aguascalientes
Mexico