[AISWorld] Digital Innovation DC: Call for Participation

Robert Gregory rwgregory at iese.edu
Thu Apr 16 11:32:05 EDT 2015

*Barcelona Doctoral Consortium on Digital Innovation*

Hosted at La Salle – Ramon Lull University, Barcelona, Spain – 2-3 July 2015

*Call for applications*

BACKGROUND: The purpose of the Barcelona Doctoral Consortium is to advance
the scientific knowledge and practical understanding about digital
innovation. Our perspective on digital innovation is broad and covers a
range of topics associated with information systems, technology and
innovation management, as well as entrepreneurship and business model
design. This intersection, in particular, is driven by remarkable
advancements in digital technology and digitalization of society at large.
As a result, we witness transformational changes in the design and use of
information systems that need further examination. These changes are
intertwined with organizational shifts in the way that technological
innovation and value creation is managed by firms and within emerging
business ecosystems. Furthermore, as a result of dramatically reduced entry
barriers and fundamental changes in the design logics and multi-layered
architecture of digital technology, we are witnessing a significant
increase in entrepreneurial activities and business model (re)design
efforts.

Digital innovation as an emerging stream of research embodies a transversal
and embedded understanding of information systems and technologies in
organizations and business models. Thus, we are looking for research
contributions that are not confined within the narrow boundaries of any
individual and specialized discipline or field of expertise. Furthermore,
we wish to highlight that we are open to any methodological orientation,
paradigm, and perspective. Besides traditional research approaches and
methodologies, which are all welcomed, recently emerging approaches such as
various forms of engaged scholarship, phenomenon/data-driven research,
design theory development, consortium research, Blue Ocean theorizing, and
others are also welcomed.

PURPOSE: We aim to bring together top scholars doing research on topics
related to digital innovation for a one-day-and-a-half research-intensive
workshop. We are looking for up to eight papers, to be presented in a
cordial and stimulating environment.

VENUE: The consortium will be held on July 2-3, 2015 at the La Salle –
Ramon Llull University (www.salleurl.edu).

ORGANIZERS: Robert Gregory (IESE-Universidad Navarra), Evgeny Kaganer (IESE
– Universidad Navarra), Joan Rodón (ESADE - URL), Núria Agell (ESADE -
URL), Joan Antoni Pastor (UOC), Francesc Miralles (La Salle-URL), David Riu
(La Salle-URL).

INVITED FACULTY MENTORS (Subject to changes): Magnus Mähring (Stockholm
School of Economics), Josep Valor (IESE – Universidad Navarra), Ola
Henfridsson (WBS – University of Warwick), Roman Beck (IT University
Denmark), Ann Majchrzak (USC - Marshall School of Business), Paul Fox and
Chris Kennett (La Salle – Ramon Llull University).

SPONSOR: The consortium is organized with the support of the Society for
the Advancement of Management Studies (SAMS).

SUBMISSION PROCEDURE GUIDELINES:
- An extended abstract on the PhD dissertation or thesis working paper, and
a CV of the applicant shall be sent todoctoralconsortiumBCN at outlook.com (word
format), no later than April 30th, 2015.
- The extended abstract (five-pages, double-spaced, including tables,
figures and references) should include the title of the paper, the name of
the PhD student and the thesis supervisor, their affiliation(s) and
academic position(s), and the full address of the PhD candidate applicant.
- In the e-mail subject, please specify "BARCELONA DOCTORAL CONSORTIUM
– DIGITAL
INNOVATION".

PARTICIPANT SELECTION CRITERIA: The organizing committee will give
preference to submissions that convince in terms of a clearly defined
research design as well as preliminary findings from field research and/or
any type of engaged scholarship (e.g., design research, action research).
The selection criteria include: the fit with the consortium topic focus
(i.e., digital innovation viewed broadly as outlined above) and the
scientific excellence or potential of the research.

Accepted participants will be informed by May 15th, 2015. No further
comments will be provided.

CONFERENCE FEES, LODGING AND MEALS:
- The organizers will offer up to 10 *accommodation grants* (one night) to
visiting PhD students (at La Salle Campus Residence). Please mention in the
application email that you would like to be considered for this grant.
- There is a 250 € consortium participation fee that will be waived for the
accepted participants that register and confirm participation by June 1st,
2015 (this includes registration fee, lunches, coffee breaks and conference
materials).

IMPORTANT DATES:
Opening Call: April 14, 2015
*Deadline for submission of extended abstracts: April 30th, 2015*
Confirmation of accepted abstracts: May 15th, 2015
Registration opening: May 18th, 2015
*End of registration: June 8th, 2015*
Final program: June 15th, 2015
PhD Consortium sessions: July 2-3rd, 2015

FURTHER INFORMATION: For specific inquires please contact:
doctoralconsortiumBCN at outlook.com

We look forward to welcoming you to the Barcelona Doctoral Consortium on
Digital Innovation

*The Organizing Committee*

Robert Gregory, Evgeny Káganer, Joan Rodon, Nuria Agell, Joan Antoni
Pastor, Francesc Miralles, David Riu.

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE

Time

Thursday – July 2nd

Time

Friday – July 3rd

10:30

Registration

9:00

*Research Projects Interactive Discussion*

11:00

Welcome and introductions

10:30

Coffee Break

11:30

*Presentation session 1*

11:00

*Reflection sessions in groups*

12:15

Coffee Break

12:00

*Workshop – on Publishing*

12:45

*Presentation session 2*

13:00

Lunch

13:30

Lunch

14:00

*Q&A on Writing your dissertation*

14:30

*Presentation session 3 + 4*

15:00

Wrap-up and closure

16:00

Coffee Break

16:30

*Presentation session 5*

17:15

*Workshop - on Employability*

18:00

End of day 1

20:00

Dinner (Optional)

 Expected parallel tracks for the student’s presentations:

A. Technology and Innovation Management

B. Information Systems Design and Innovation

C. Entrepreneurship and Business Model Design

D. Other topics related broadly to Digital Innovation

Workshops and other sessions are done with the whole group in a plenary
room.