[AISWorld] JAIS 2015 Volume 16, Issue 06 (June) Contents

JAIS JAIS at comm.virginia.edu
Sun Jun 21 11:05:15 EDT 2015

Contents of Volume 16, Issue 06 (June) Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS),
Official Publication of the Association for Information Systems
Published: Monthly Electronically
ISSN: 1536-9323
Published by the Association for Information Systems, Atlanta, USA (http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/)

Editor-in-Chief:  Professor Suprateek Sarker, University of Virginia, USA

PAPER ONE

Sustainability of a Virtual Community: Integrating Individual and Structural Dynamics
Gee-Woo Bock, Sungkyunkwan University
Manju K. Ahuja, University of Louisville
Ayoung Suh, City University of Hong Kong (Corresponding Author)
Lee Xian Yap, DBS Bank, Singapore

Abstract
This study investigates how virtual communities retain active members and maintain sustainability as they grow in size. By integrating the individual and structural dynamics of a virtual community, this study develops a multi-level research model that explores how structural factors (i.e., membership and clique sizes) at the community level interact with individual factors (i.e., the extent of use of collaborative tools, the strength of emotional ties, and shared information resources) to predict an active member’s intention to stay. We tested the proposed cross-level hypotheses using survey data collected from 164 participants and 15 virtual communities. The results of this study emphasize the need to consider individual and structural dynamics simultaneously to understand virtual communities’ sustainability. Results indicate that membership size does not directly influence an active member’s intention to stay but that it exerts an indirect effect by strengthening the positive relationship between the extent of use of collaborative tools and shared information resources. This study supports the notion that, because members form cliques, the strength of emotional ties among individuals in a virtual community does not decrease despite an increase in membership size. Notably, the results suggest that, in a virtual community, a large clique size may weaken the relationship between the strength of emotional ties and the intention to stay.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol16/iss6/3/

PAPER TWO

Fake-Website Detection Tools: Identifying Elements that Promote Individuals’ Use and Enhance Their Performance
Fatemeh Mariam Zahedi, University of Wisconsin
Ahmed Abbasi, University of Virginia
Yan Chen, Auburn University at Montgomery

Abstract
By successfully exploiting human vulnerabilities, fake websites have emerged as a major source of online fraud. Fake websites continue to inflict exorbitant monetary losses and also have significant ramifications for online security. We explore the process by which salient performance-related elements could increase the reliance on protective tools and, thus, reduce the success rate of fake websites. We develop the theory of detection tool impact (DTI) for this investigation by borrowing and contextualizing the protection motivation theory. Based on the DTI theory, we conceptualize a model to investigate how salient performance and cost-related elements of detection tools could influence users’ perceptions of the tools and threats, efficacy in dealing with threats, and reliance on such tools. The research method was a controlled lab experiment with a novel and extensive experimental design and protocol in two distinct domains: online pharmacies and banks. We found that the detector accuracy and speed, reflecting in response efficacy as perceived by users, form the pivotal coping mechanism in dealing with security threats and are major conduits for transforming salient performance-related elements into increased reliance on the detector. Furthermore, reported reliance on the detector showed a significant impact on the users’ performance in terms of self-protection. Therefore, users’ perceived response efficacy should be used as a critical metric to evaluate the design, assess the performance, and promote the use of fake-website detectors. We also found that cost of detector error had profound impacts on threat perceptions. We discuss the significant theoretical and empirical implications of the findings.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol16/iss6/2/

PAPER THREE

Work System Theory as a Platform: Response to a Research Perspective Article by Niederman and March
Steven Alter, University of San Francisco

Abstract
In this paper, I respond to “Moving the Work System Theory Forward” (Niederman & March, 2014), a JAIS research perspective paper about another paper on work system theory (Alter, 2013e). The research perspective paper recognizes value in the work system approach, suggests that WST is not a proper theory, and suggests areas for related theory development. After summarizing the main ideas in WST, I explain disagreements between Niederman and March (2014) and Alter (2013e)— (hereafter called N&M and the WST paper) about what WST is and what WST should become. I note that N&M interprets basic ideas in WST differently than the WST paper defines them. I note that N&M’s critique of WST is anchored in issues about the nature of theory, especially a preference for Gregor’s type 4 theory. I explain that WST is a special case of general system theory and, as such, should not and cannot take the form of a theory that expresses relationships between independent variables, moderating variables, and dependent variables. I also explain why the WST paper called WST a theory when it might have been called something else, and also why the WST paper does not treat the development of the work system method (WSM) as a design science research project. Lastly, I respond directly to N&M’s title, “Moving the Work System Theory Forward” by explaining that WST is becoming a platform for applications and extensions in IS and other disciplines, which I illustrate with examples under five categories.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol16/iss6/1/

Debate and Comment
Our third paper this month concludes an ongoing discussion regarding Steven Alter’s Work System Theory paper originally appearing in JAIS.  The complete conversation can be found using the links below:

Work System Theory: Overview of Core Concepts, Extensions, and Challenges for the Future by Steven Alter
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol14/iss2/1/

Moving the Work System Theory Forward by Fred Niederman and Salvatore March
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol15/iss6/1/

Work System Theory as a Platform: Response to a Research Perspective Article by Niederman and March by Steven Alter
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol16/iss6/1/