[AISWorld] AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction publication of Volume 7, Issue 2

Valacich, Joe S - (valacich) JSValacich at cmi.arizona.edu
Tue Jun 30 15:42:22 EDT 2015

We are Happy to Announce the Publication of Volume 7 Issue 2 of AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction (http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol7/iss2/)

Just as the monsoon season has arrived in the Sonoran Desert of southern Arizona, so too is the arrival of the next issue of THCI. We would like to point out a couple of important items. First, a special issue on HCI and Human Resource Information Systems is underway; special issue editors are Richard Johnson (rjohnson at albany.edu<mailto:rjohnson at albany.edu>), Kimberly Lukaszewski (kimade611 at hotmail.com<mailto:kimade611 at hotmail.com>), and Dianna Stone (diannastone at satx.rr.com<mailto:diannastone at satx.rr.com>).  Please go to our homepage for more details or contact one of the editors directly. Second, our 2014 best paper has been selected by the Senior Editors. The winner is "The Buck Stops There: The Impact of Perceived Accountability and Control on the Intention to Delegate to Software Agents," by Nathan Stout, Alan Dennis, and Taylor Wells. Congratulations Nate, Alan and Taylor!  And thank you for submitting such a fine paper to THCI. The paper can be found at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol6/iss1/1/.

THCI is one of the journals in the AIS (Association for Information Systems) e-library at http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci. To increase awareness and readership, THCI is still freely available to everyone during its initial years of publishing. You can find information related to all aspects of THCI at its website (http://aisel.aisnet.org/), including how to submit. We would like to thank AIS Council<http://home.aisnet.org> for its continued support of the journal. And, as always, we are happy to announce that we have published the journal on time for all 26 issues.

You are welcome to download the papers from this issue and other issues by visiting the AIS E-Library.

============

In this issue

============

"Personalityzation: UI Personalization, Theoretical Grounding in HCI and Design Research<http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol7/iss2/1/>"

by

Ofer Arazy, Oded Nov, and Nanda Kumar

Abstract:

Personalization is an effective means for accommodating differences between individuals. Therefore, the personalization of a system's user interface (UI) features can enhance usability. To date, UI personalization approaches have been largely divorced from psychological theories of personality, and the user profiles constructed by extant personalization techniques do not map directly onto the fundamental personality traits examined in the psychology literature. In line with recent calls to ground the design of information systems in behavioral theory, we maintain that personalization that is informed by psychology literature is advantageous. More specifically, we advocate an approach termed "personalityzation", where UI features are adapted to an explicit model of a user's personality. We demonstrate the proposed personalityzation approach through a proof-of-concept in the context of social recommender systems. We identify two key contributions to information systems research. First, extending prior works on adaptive interfaces, we introduce a UI personalization framework that is grounded in psychology theory of personality. Second, we reflect on how our proposed personalityzation framework could inform the discourse in design research regarding the theoretical grounding of system's design.

"Reducing Human/Pilot Errors in Aviation Using Augmented Cognition and Automation Systems in Aircraft Cockpit<http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol7/iss2/2/>"

by

Ehsan Naranji, Shahram Sarkani, and Thomas Mazzuchi

Abstract:

Human errors cause the majority of aviation accidents. Augmented cognition and automation systems enhance pilot performance by evaluating system limitations and flight precision and performance. This study examines the human-machine interface in cockpit design using the tenets of augmented cognition and automation systems theory in terms of task allocation, attentional resources, and situational awareness. The study compares how these principles apply to and interact with each other and with a human/pilot in a closed-loop system. We present a method for integrating augmented cognition systems into airplane flight management systems. We demonstrate systems enhancement with an experiment in which test pilots flew two simulated flights, once without and once with an augmented cognition system. We measured pilot and airplane performance, pilots' situational awareness, workload management, pilots' use of cockpit checklists, and flight precision along four axes: (1) altitude, (2) course, (3) radial/bearing and heading, and (4) airspeed.

==================

Call for Papers

==================

THCI is a high-quality peer-reviewed international scholarly journal on Human-Computer Interaction. As an AIS journal, THCI is oriented to the Information Systems community, emphasizing applications in business, managerial, organizational, and cultural contexts. However, it is open to all related communities that share intellectual interests in HCI phenomena and issues. The editorial objective is to enhance and communicate knowledge about the interplay among humans, information, technologies, and tasks in order to guide the development and use of human-centered Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and services for individuals, groups, organizations, and communities.

Topics of interest to THCI include but are not limited to the following:

*         The behavioral, cognitive, motivational and affective aspects of human and technology interaction

*         User task analysis and modeling; fit between representations and task types

*         Digital documents/genres; human information seeking and web navigation behaviors; human information interaction; information visualization

*         Social media; social computing; virtual communities

*         Behavioral information security and information assurance; privacy and trust in human technology interaction

*         User interface design and evaluation for various applications in business, managerial, organizational, educational, social, cultural, non-work, and other domains

*         Integrated and/or innovative approaches, guidelines, and standards or metrics for human centered analysis, design, construction, evaluation, and use of interactive devices and information systems

*         Information systems usability engineering; universal usability

*         The impact of interfaces/information technology on people's attitude, behavior, performance, perception, and productivity

*         Implications and consequences of technological change on individuals, groups, society, and socio-technical units

*         Software learning and training issues such as perceptual, cognitive, and motivational aspects of learning

*         Gender and information technology

*         The elderly, the young, and special needs populations for new applications, modalities, and multimedia interaction

*         Issues in HCI education

The language for the journal is English. The audience includes international scholars and practitioners who conduct research on issues related to the objectives of the journal. The publication frequency is quarterly: 4 issues per year to be published in March, June, September, and December. The AIS Special Interest Group on Human-Computer Interaction (SIGHCI, http://sigs.aisnet.org/SIGHCI/) is the official sponsor of THCI.

Please visit the links above or the links from our AIS THCI page (http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/) for details on any emerging special issue calls that will be announced in the future. Please keep checking our home page to see what is brewing! If you have an idea for a special issue, please drop us a line any time.

Sincerely,

Dennis Galletta and Joe Valacich, co-Editors in Chief

Joe Valacich
Eller College of Management
McClelland Hall Rm 430CC; PO Box 210108
The University of Arizona