[AISWorld] Disagreements on new MSIS 2016 curriclum. Re: Fwd: Announcing the first public deliverable of the MSIS 2016 task force for your review and comments

mmora at securenym.net mmora at securenym.net
Wed Jul 1 13:31:18 EDT 2015

Dear colleagues in AIS:
It seems that MSIS 2016 curriculum is more M than IS/IT. In this MSIS 2016
version, compared with previous one (MSIS 2006) has been focused in
specific poor IT (technological mandatory courses). So I understand why
the MIS undergraduate and graduate curricula is diminishing. Despite of
the appendix 4 (on specific track specialization recommendations), core IT
technological courses are missing (Agile SDMs, Cloud-based SDMs, ITIL/IT
Service Management, Data Center Operations, Intelligent Systems, and so
on). The Task Force should include academic staff with strong IT
technological background. PhD in MIS with an emphasis more in managerial
topics than IT only is damaging the IS/IT area. So none in the IT industry
is interested in top flag research journals: MISQ, ISR and JMIS. Is our
intellectual vanity so great for doing research far of the everyday IT
reality lived in thousands of large, SMBs and micro enterprises in the
world? Data Centers are the core of any IT operation and few research
papers in top MIS journals are published or accepted. Well, our MIS
discipline needs a strong re-structure and a new leadership.
Thanks.
Dr. Manuel Mora

bo Akademi University; AIS, co-chair; ekarsten at abo.fi)