[AISWorld] Vacancy for a Postdoc candidate in the Desire Lines in Big Data project
j.c.a.m.buijs at tue.nl
Fri Jul 24 01:55:22 EDT 2015
View this vacancy online and apply directly: http://jobs.tue.nl/en/vacancy/postdoc-desire-lines-in-big-data-226183.html
In the context of the NWO project "Desire Lines in Big Data" we are looking for a Postdoc interested in Process Mining on huge, heterogeneous event logs.
The DeLiBiDa project as a whole runs for a period of four years and aims to develop new process mining technology to analyse big event logs. It is supported by the Dutch Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO).
The goal of process mining is to extract process-related information from event logs, e.g., to automatically discover a process model by observing events recorded by some information system. Despite recent advances in process mining there are still important challenges that need to be addressed. In fact, the discovery of process models from event logs is notoriously difficult and major breakthroughs are needed for the large-scale application of process mining.
DeLiBiDa aims to develop new techniques to deal with massive event data. There are various settings where it is impossible to store events over an extended period. Therefore, we want to develop on-the-fly process mining techniques, e.g., techniques to learn process models without storing excessive amounts of events. We also want to decompose process mining problems into smaller problems that can be solved more efficiently and that can be distributed over a network of computers using Map-Reduce techniques.
The PhD candidate in particular will focus on the storage of event-data in databases and in-database (pre)processing thereof. Furthermore, we plan to develop query techniques to make event-data quickly accessible for processing. Therefore, knowledge of or affinity with databases, query optimization, etc. is a pre.
The postdoc will be involved in the supervision of two PhD students, one of which started on this project already and has been working on stream-based process mining.
There are two PhD and one postdoc positions in the DeLiBiDa project. The Postdoc will join the Architecture of Information Systems (AIS) group at Eindhoven University of Technology. The postdoc will also be involved in the supervision of the PhDs.
We are looking for candidates that meet the following requirements:
* a solid background in Computer Science, Data Science, or Software Science (demonstrated by relevant Master and PhD degrees);
* good communicative skills in English, both in speaking and in writing;
* candidates are expected to realize research ideas in terms of prototype software, so software development skills are needed;
* candidates from non-Dutch or non-English speaking countries should be prepared to prove their English language skills.
* a relevant PhD is expected (ideal candidates have a strong background in both software engineering and process/data mining; also candidates that have a strong background in one of the two areas can apply but should demonstrate that they are interested to become an expert in both);
Note that we are looking for candidates that really want to make a difference and like to work on things that have a high practical relevance while having the ambition to compete at an international scientific level (i.e., present at top conferences and in top journals).
Conditions of employment
For the postdoc position, we offer:
* a full-time temporary appointment for a period of 24 months.
* salary in accordance with CAO of the Dutch universities ;
* support for your personal development and career planning including courses, summer schools, conference visits etc.;
* a broad package of fringe benefits (e.g. excellent technical infrastructure, child daycare, and excellent sports facilities).
* Only applications submitted through http://jobs.tue.nl/en/vacancy/postdoc-desire-lines-in-big-data-226183.html will be processed
* For more information about this position contact dr.ir. Boudewijn van Dongen (Assistant Professor), e-mail b.f.v.dongen at tue.nl<mailto:b.f.v.dongen at tue.nl> or by telephone: +31 40 247 2181
The application should consist of the following parts:
* Cover letter explaining your motivation and qualifications for the position (the letter should show an understanding of process mining and the work done within AIS, see websites such as www.processmining.org<http://www.processmining.org> and the book "Process Mining: Discovery, Conformance and Enhancement of Business Processes");
* Detailed Curriculum Vitae;
* List of courses taken at the Bachelor and Master level including marks;
* List of publications and software artifacts developed;
* Pointer to a copy of the PhD thesis and key publications;
* Names of referees.
dr.ir. J.C.A.M. (Joos) Buijs
Fac. Wiskunde & Informatica
j.c.a.m.buijs at tue.nl<mailto:j.c.a.m.buijs at tue.nl>
Not in the office on Mondays
Den Dolech 2, 5612 AZ
P.O. Box 513, MF 7.062
5600 MB Eindhoven
In case a direct reply is desired:
Office MF 7.062
Lync j.c.a.m.buijs at tue.nl<sip:j.c.a.m.buijs at tue.nl>
M +31 6 42 77 89 88 (preferred)
T +31 40 247 3661
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 3812 bytes
More information about the AISWorld