[AISWorld] Replication in IS Research

Dennis, Alan R. ardennis at indiana.edu
Mon Aug 31 08:52:43 EDT 2015

The importance of replication has never been clearer. Science just published an article reporting the results of the Reproducibility Project, in which over 250 researchers replicated 100 studies published in top-ranked psychology journals. They found the same results in less than half of the studies. If we were to do this in IS, what would we discover? Replication refines our theories, identifies boundary conditions, and is an essential part of the scientific process.  For more information about this article see:
Science article http://www.sciencemag.org/content/349/6251/aac4716
NY Times summary http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/28/science/many-social-science-findings-not-as-strong-as-claimed-study-says.html?_r=0

Joe Valacich and I are the Editors-in-Chief of AIS Transactions on Replication Research (http://aisel.aisnet.org/trr/). We encourage you and your students to join us in replicating IS research studies. If you're thinking about a replication study or would like to start, please visit the journal or send us a note.

Thanks
Alan & Joe

Alan Dennis
Professor and John T. Chambers Chair of Internet Systems
Editor-in-Chief, Foundations and Trends in IS (nowpublishers.com/isy)
Co-Founder, Courseload Inc. (courseload.com)
Publisher, MIS Quarterly Executive (misqe.org)
Kelley School of Business, Indiana University
www.kelley.iu.edu/ardennis<http://www.kelley.iu.edu/ardennis>