[AISWorld] An Invitation to the 2016 IS Project and Case Competitions at Ball State University, Indiana

rui chen rchen3 at bsu.edu
Wed Oct 28 11:08:51 EDT 2015

Dear Colleagues:

The Miller College of Business at Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana,
has been hosting an IS Project and Case Competitions in April since 2012.
The event provides students opportunity to network with IS/IT
professionals, to showcase their projects, and to test their business
problem-solving skills. Please visit the Competitions site for videos of
past competitions and information about the winning teams at
http://cms.bsu.edu/academics/collegesanddepartments/mcob/majors-and-degrees/depts/isom/activitiesandopportunities/is-competition

I like to personally invite your students to participate in the fifth
annual IS Project and Case Competitions to be held from April 15th to 17th,
2016. The cost to participate is low: there is no registration fee and Ball
State provides most meals.

As educators, we understand how real-world project benefits students. As a
part of a college of business, we also are vigilant of AACSB accreditation
standards.  The new 2013 standards include Academic and Professional
Engagement, which requires schools to provide and document students’
experiential learning activities. Since experiential learning is a required
element of an IS curriculum, why not take the learning to the next level by
encouraging students to participate in project competitions? The uniqueness
of this Project and Case Competitions is that students not only be able to
showcase their own projects, they also have the opportunity to solve a new,
IS-related business problem within time constraint. Students do enjoy the
challenge of testing their skills and receiving feedback from practitioners.

Students’ project may be completed in fall or spring of 2015-2016 academic
year. The case competition webpage (see URL above) contains detail
information of the event, including eligibility, write-ups, judging
criteria, and relevant due dates. We hope that you will consider providing
this unique opportunity for your students. It is OK if your students choose
to participate in the case competition but not the project competition in
case they do not have a recently completed or an on-going project to
present. If your students are interested in participating, please e-mail me
the intent ASAP so that we can prepare accordingly.

Best,

Rui Chen, Ph.D.
Department of Information Systems and Operations Management
Miller College of Business
Ball State Univesity
Muncie, IN 47306
E-mail: rchen3 at bsu.edu