[AISWorld] Call for paper : European Conference on IS ECIS 2016-Track: Social media – The New Global Normal?

Anil Aggarwal aaggarwal at ubalt.edu
Sat Oct 31 18:57:13 EDT 2015

Dear Colleagues:

We invite you to submit your paper to the exciting new track:  Social media – The New Global Normal? at the premier European MIS conference (ECIS -2016) We look forward to your paper.  If you have any questions, please contact us.

http://home.ubalt.edu/ntsbagga/CALL_ECIS 2016_.pdf<http://home.ubalt.edu/ntsbagga/CALL_ECIS%202016_.pdf>

Regards,

Anil Aggarwal, University of Baltimore; USA, aaggarwal at ubalt.edu<mailto:aaggarwal at ubalt.edu<mailto:aaggarwal at ubalt.edu%3cmailto:aaggarwal at ubalt.edu>>
Hajer Kefi, Université Paris Dauphine, France, hajer.kefi at gmail.com<mailto:hajer.kefi at gmail.com<mailto:hajer.kefi at gmail.com%3cmailto:hajer.kefi at gmail.com>>

Doug Vogel, Harbin Institute of Technology, PRC, vogel.doug at gmail.com<mailto:vogel.doug at gmail.com<mailto:vogel.doug at gmail.com%3cmailto:vogel.doug at gmail.com>

ECIS 2016

24th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS) June 12-15, 2016, Istanbul, Turkey http://www.ecis2016.eu

Track: Social media – The New Global Normal?

http://www.ecis2016.eu/files/downloads/Tracks/T28.pdf

*** Deadline for Paper Submission: November 27th, 2015 ***

Track Description

Social media is the new reality which is changing world order. It is a major disruptive force which is transforming businesses, communication patterns between individuals, organizations and governments and changing everyday life of each and every individual irrespective of sex, race, nationality, religion and many other diversity factors. Social media is diffusing worldwide from remote villages in Vietnam to mountains of Siberia. It is changing how we read the news, teach, listen to music, watch TV and movies, conduct research, contact and communicate with peers, relatives and spouses, read books, get information and on and on. We are building like-minded communities of people we may never meet or even see but can communicate. Given this disruptive revolution it is necessary to study “Why’ and ‘How’ it is happening and ‘When’ and ‘What’ we can expect from this disruptive force. Social media generates ‘mega’ data which can be used to detect, extrapolate and brainstorm to find ”nuggets”. Many have referred to this as big data.

To study the four factors (4F’s: why, how, when and what), we divide its users as individuals (I), businesses (B), communities (C) and countries (CT). Any time a new disruptive force emerges there is the “good”, “bad” and “ugly” impact of it. Good is which is both legal and ethical, and ugly on the other extreme is both illegal and unethical. This creates a 4 (factors)x4 (stakeholders)x3(outcome) cube framework which can be used to study social media.

Many research questions arise when we are working with such a gigantic system.

Questions like why do individuals behave as they do and what good or ugly output comes out of this? How are businesses using this massive data to be more “custom-oriented”? How are groups using social media to create innovative products or innovative theories or how are they using this media to spread hate, terror or lies? How are countries involved in cyber warfare, hacking systems or introducing destructive viruses? Terrorism is becoming a global threat and social media is used for recruiting innocent young adults. Even the governments are having trouble competing with terrorists. Why small groups are defeating large technically sophisticated governments? Is it the message or poverty or just ignorance that is luring young kids? Why are young kids being lured by others via social networks? These questions need to be addressed. Analytical techniques and emerging computing power is enabling researchers to address some of these questions.

Social media, though popular, also faces many challenges of customs, socialization and politics. This is compounded due to its global nature. There is no consensus in what is good, bad or ugly on the internet. Researchers are constantly addressing these issues.  As old issue are resolved, new challenges emerge that require knowledge from multiple disciplines such as information systems, social sciences, international management, leadership and political science. Given the richness and research potential of this area, it is essential to brainstorm and bring diverse points of view to develop underlying theory and frameworks. This track will attempt to accomplish these objectives.

Since social networking includes many different areas, we expect contributions from researchers beyond information system discipline.

The track invites both completed research papers and research in progress papers.

Call for Papers
The track will address issues related to the good, bad and the ugly aspects of social networking in the context of various communities as well as the underlying theories of group dynamics, coordination, communications and behavioral and challenging aspects of social indulgence.

Examples of topics in the discussion of the track will include the following (but are not limited to):

·         Social media creating robot?

·         Social network drivers

·         Social-less world of social media

·         Big data and impact of use and misuse of social media

·         Is social media sustainable?

·         Factors impacting good, bad and ugly behavior in individuals, businesses, communities and countries

·         Economics of social media

·         Crime and punishment of social media engagement

·         What is ‘global’ and what is ‘local’ in social networking?

·         The why, when, what and how of social media

·         Cyberwarfare between CT2CT communication

·         Political reward/punishment of anonymity

·         A global netEthics standard for social networks?

·         Price of anonymity

·         Impact of inclusion/exclusion in communities

·         Trust and distrust in community engagement

·         Security, privacy and risk associated with globally distributed communities

·         Case Studies (success/failures) related to behaviour standardisation on the social media

·         Addiction and dependency to social networking

·         Habit, Information overload and social betworking discontinuance

·         Social Networking marketing uses and misuses

·         Toward new social networking-driven business models (case studies)

·         Social networking and Political engagement

Track Chairs