[AISWorld] JAIS 2015 Volume 16, Issue 11 (November) Contents

JAIS JAIS at comm.virginia.edu
Tue Nov 24 12:30:54 EST 2015

Contents of Volume 16, Issue 11 (November) Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS), Official Publication of the Association for Information Systems
Published: Monthly Electronically
ISSN: 1536-9323
Published by the Association for Information Systems, Atlanta, USA (http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/)

Editor-in-Chief:  Professor Suprateek Sarker, University of Virginia, USA

PAPER ONE
Fostering Fast-response Spontaneous Virtual Team: Effects of Member Skill Awareness and Shared Governance on Team Cohesion and Outcomes
Xue Yang, Nanjing University
Yu Tong, City University of Hong Kong
Hock Hai Teo, National University of Singapore
Abstract
Volatility and shocks in the environment have often generated pressing challenges that should be addressed quickly. In response to these challenges, fast-response spontaneous virtual teams (FRSVTs) have emerged. Such teams can swiftly assemble global talent by using advanced information communication technologies and are promising with respect to their benefits; however, their success is not guaranteed because FRSVT members face challenges that prevent them from operating cohesively, such as a lack of contractual bond and team-building processes. To address these problems, we present two technology-enabled facilitative factors (i.e., awareness of members' skills and perception of shared governance) that may positively influence an individual member's perception of FRSVT task cohesion and subsequent outcomes. We draw these factors from the team-shared mental model. Survey results obtained from 367 FRSVT members reveal that, although both factors significantly affected perceived task cohesion, the influence of shared governance perception was stronger. Furthermore, perceived task cohesion was positively related to performance and member satisfaction. One's propensity to reunite with team members is affected by performance and member satisfaction.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol16/iss11/2/

PAPER TWO
Building Community Citizenship Behaviors: The Relative Role of Attachment and Satisfaction
Chao-Min Chiu, National Sun Yat-sen University
Yu-Hui Fang, Tamkang University
Eric T.G. Wang, National Central University
Abstract
Members' voluntary and beneficial behaviors (i.e., citizenship behaviors) are central to the development and success of professional virtual communities (VCs). In this study, we identify two types of citizenship behaviors in VCs: those directed toward the VC and those directed toward individuals. We propose a theoretical model to examine whether VC attachment and satisfaction can have different effects on the two types of citizenship behaviors in VCs. Drawing on the "self-concept" as noted in marketing literature, we identify three needs to be fulfilled in order to establish the VC-self connection and model them as the antecedents of VC attachment and satisfaction. We empirically test the model with data collected from 196 users of a professional VC. The results indicate that VC attachment plays a more important role in explaining citizenship behaviors directed toward the VC and that satisfaction plays a more important role in explaining citizenship behaviors directed toward individuals. In addition, the three aspects of the self-concept are associated with members' VC attachment and satisfaction. We discuss the implications of our findings.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol16/iss11/1/