[AISWorld] Call for Papers - Media Architecture Biennale 2016 (MAB¹16)

Peter Dalsgaard dalsgaard at cavi.au.dk
Sun Nov 29 16:34:36 EST 2015

Please distribute widely

--------------------------------

CALL FOR PAPERS

Media Architecture Biennale (MAB’16)

1-4 June 2016, Sydney, Australia

http://www.mab16.org/

The Media Architecture Biennale is the premier international arena where the world’s top experts; architects, designers, artists in both academia, and the industry come together to debate and shape the media architecture of the future.

IMPORTANT DATES

Papers submission deadline                                  January 18, 2016

Doctoral Consortium applications due                   February 5, 2016

Workshop expression of interest                            closed

Awards entries deadline                                         February 29, 2016

Late breaking results                                              March 31, 2016

Student Competition                                               see mab16.org<http://mab16.org/>

MAB 2016                                                               June 1-4, 2016

 MEDIA ARCHITECTURE AND PLACEMAKING

At this year’s biennale, we highlight the potential of Media Architecture as a key component in placemaking; the creation of meaningful and socially thriving public spaces based on community efforts. As Media Architecture becomes a more prominent and accepted part of urban life, it opens up rich opportunities for new forms of participation through dialogue and engagement. It places a greater responsibility on designers to look beyond aspects of implementation and enter new partnerships with urban planners and residents. Through the combination of agility and responsibility, designers examine how Media Architecture can contribute to shaping places that improve the quality and experience of urban space and support creative patterns of use, with a particular attention to its physical, cultural, and social identities. We, therefore, invite interested parties from a variety of backgrounds – be it human-computer interaction, urban design and planning, engineering, arts, humanities, sociology, and more – to participate in joint discussions about how Media Architecture can best contribute to placemaking.

MAB 2016 will be held in the beautiful city of Sydney in New South Wales, Australia.

There are three reasons to visit Australia in 2016 with MAB being held back to back with the Vivid Light, Music & Ideas Festival 2016 (vividsydney.com<http://vividsydney.com/>) and the Designing Interactive Systems (DIS) from 4-8 June 2016 (http://www.dis2016.org/).

We invite papers that present and discuss novel contributions to media architecture both on a practical and theoretical level and that further our understanding of the field through case studies, design approaches, and best practices. We expect contributions to critically explore a wide range of topics including, but not limited to:

·      Participatory Architecture & City Planning

·      Social & Cultural Aspects of Media Architecture

·      Spatial Locative Media & Sensory Environments

·      Media Facades & Urban Displays and Future Trends

·      Interaction Techniques & Interfaces

·      Critical & Historical Perspectives on Media Architecture

·      Design Tools, Processes & Methods

·      Case Studies

Further instructions on how to prepare and submit your papers, please see http://www.mab16.org/

For any questions, please email conference at mediaarchitecture.org<mailto:conference at mediaarchitecture.org>

We look forward to seeing you at MAB’16. In the meantime, please follow us on Twitter @MAbiennale<https://twitter.com/mabiennale> tell us you are coming on our Facebook event page: facebook.com/MAbiennale<https://www.facebook.com/MABiennale>

Hank Haeusler, University of New South Wales, Australia

Martin Tomitsch, University of Sydney, Australia

MAB General Chairs

Ava Fatah gen Schieck, Bartlett UCL, UK

Peter Dalsgaard, Aarhus University, DK

Martin Brynskov, Aarhus University, DK