[AISWorld] PHD STUDENT POSITIONS IN BIG DATA AT UMBC

Jianwu Wang jianwu at umbc.edu
Mon Dec 21 17:00:46 EST 2015

*

PHD STUDENT POSITIONS IN BIG DATA AT THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND,
BALTIMORE COUNTY

I’m looking for new PhD students to start in Fall 2016 to conduct Big
Data related research. Students will be funded through research
assistantships and/or teaching assistantships.

My research

My research interests include Big Data, Scientific Workflow, Distributed
Computing, Service-Oriented Computing, End-User Programming. An
important aspect of Big Data applications is that these applications
typically involve many phases, such as data ingestion, preparation,
integration, analysis, visualization and dissemination. My research
focuses on usability/programmability at front end —and execution
optimization at back end for these Big Data applications. I’m
particularly interested in using workflow-based approach to build and
execute two types of applications: Big Batch Data applications and Big
Stream Data applications. My research is often from real-world
applications, built on top of real systems, such as Hadoop, Storm and
Spark.

Desired qualifications

- A BS or preferably an MS in CS, IS, Applied Maths or related areas.

- Good programming experience and/or mathematical theory background on
scheduling and optimization

- Interested in and/or familiar with Big Data techniques (e.g.
MapReduce) and systems (e.g. Hadoop and Spark)

- Some background on Data Mining and Machine Learning

Further information

- Contact: jianwu _at_ umbc.edu

- My research: http://userpages.umbc.edu/~jianwu/
<http://userpages.umbc.edu/%7Ejianwu/>

- Information Systems Department at UMBC:
http://informationsystems.umbc.edu/

- Application procedure:
http://informationsystems.umbc.edu/home/graduate-programs/doctor-of-philosophy-programs/doctor-of-philosophy-in-information-systems/

- Application deadline: February 1, 2016.

About Department of Information Systems (IS)

The IS department has 32 full-time faculties, 1000+ undergraduate
students, 100+ MS students, and 50+ Ph.D. students. Our academic
programs, both at the undergraduate and graduate levels, are currently
experiencing growth in student enrollments. The research in the
department mainly includes five areas: 1) Artificial Intelligence and
Knowledge Management; 2) Database and Data Mining; 3) Health Information
Technology; 4) Human-Centered Computing; 5) Software Engineering.

About UMBC

UMBC is an American public research university, located in a safe suburb
area of Baltimore County, Maryland, approximately 10 minutes drive from
downtown Baltimore City and 30 minutes drive from Washington, D.C. UMBC
has been named the #1 Up-and-Coming University for six years in a row,
since 2009, by US News & World Report. In addition, US News & World
Report has placed UMBC in the top ten for best undergraduate teaching
six years in a row, being placed at #5, the second highest-ranked public
university.

*

--
Best wishes