[AISWorld] CFP - DSS 2016 PhD Consortium - Cork,Ireland - June 21

Tadhg Nagle tadhgnagle at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 04:01:37 EST 2016

*Overview*
The doctoral consortium has been designed to bring together Ph.D.
candidates and experienced academics in order to facilitate focused and
in-depth discussions around research. The consortium is especially designed
for students who are engaged in developing their dissertation research.
Students who will have completed their dissertations by September 2016 or
are close to completion will not be accepted.

*Proposal *
A submission outlining the candidate’s research should be in the form of an
abbreviated dissertation proposal. The proposal should provide the research
question or topic, a justification for the importance of the research, a
presentation of the theoretical basis and context for the research, a
description of research approach and method, preliminary findings and
expected contributions to knowledge. The proposal should also include a
progress report as an appendix, indicating the estimated completion date
and the work that remains to be done as of the date of submission. The
proposal may not exceed *3,000 words* and while preparing, we recommend PhD
students to reflect upon the following questions:

   - What makes the research I do especially appealing for me?
   - For the discipline?
   - For practice?
   - How can I justify that my research results will match the goals of the
   dissertation?
   - How can I show that the results of my work will contribute to
   advancing the field?

*Programme *
The consortium programme will include:

   - Talks by invited speakers about on-going research and/ or
   methodological issues;
   - Round table discussions about practical considerations (publishing,
   job market, etc.);
   - Submission presentations;
   - Opportunities for networking

*Timetable*
For candidates that wish to only attend the consortium there is a fee of
€75. Those wishing to attend the conference as well as the consortium: the
fee is €225 (excluding conference dinner), €275 (including conference
dinner).

   - March 18, 2016 – Deadline for submissions of proposals by PhD
   candidates
   - April 8, 2016 – Notification of acceptance
   - April 22, 2016 – Updated proposals/ research papers expected for
   distribution before the consortium
   - June 21, 2016 – Consortium

*Submission*
Submissions to the consortium have to include:

   - Cover page
      - Information about the candidate, including name, university
      affiliation, name of dissertation supervisor, web site address,
and contact
      information: email address, mailing address, and phone numbers
      - Title of the proposal
   - Research proposal (2000 – 3000 words): including motivation, research
   question, research design/ methodology, current status of research and
   completion plan.
      - Times New Roman or equivalent font
      - 12-point font size
      - 1.5 spacing
   - Statement by the supervisor or PhD programme director confirming the
   status of the candidate and a recommendation for participation in the
   consortium

All of the above should be submitted via email to Dr Tadhg Nagle (
t.nagle at ucc.ie) and Professor Joe Feller (jfeller at ucc.ie).

(https://dss2016conference.wordpress.com/ph-d-consortium/)

*Dr. Tadhg Nagle*

College Lecturer