[AISWorld] JAIS 2016 Volume 17, Issue 3 (March) Contents

JAIS JAIS at comm.virginia.edu
Wed Mar 30 13:26:55 EDT 2016

Contents of Volume 17, Issue 3 (March) Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS), Official Publication of the Association for Information Systems
Published: Monthly Electronically
ISSN: 1536-9323
Published by the Association for Information Systems, Atlanta, USA (http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/)

Editor-in-Chief:  Professor Suprateek Sarker, University of Virginia, USA

PAPER ONE
Mapping the Corporate Blogosphere: Linking Audience, Content, and Management to Blog Visibility

Alan R. Dennis, Indiana University
Randall K. Minas, University of Hawaii at Manoa
Nicholas S. Lockwood, Catalina Marketing

Abstract
Blogs have been a common part of the Web for many years. Individuals create most blogs for their own purposes, but corporations have also begun to develop corporate blogs as a means for communicating with their stakeholders (e.g., customers, partners, investors). In this paper, we extend theory by generating what Gregor (2006) would call a type I theory. Specifically, we develop a theoretical framework for classifying and analyzing corporate blogs that examines blogs' target audience, their content (focus and function), and how one should manage them. We use this framework to analyze the impact of these characteristics on the visibility of blogs operated by a sample of Fortune 500 companies. Our results show that a blog's target audience and how its content and management fit with this audience can have significant impacts on blog visibility. We believe this framework provides a useful foundation for studying corporate blogs in the future.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol17/iss3/2/

PAPER TWO
Neural Correlates of Protection Motivation for Secure IT Behaviors: An fMRI Examination

Merrill Warkentin, Mississippi State University
Eric Walden, Texas Tech University
Allen C. Johnston, University of Alabama at Birmingham
Detmar W. Straub, Temple University, Korea University Business School

Abstract
Information security management programs have long included "fear appeals", managerial communiqués designed to promote secure behaviors among organizational insiders. However, recent research has found a conflict between the predictions of contemporary fear appeal theory for how we expect individuals to experience fear appeals and what actually occurs in IS security situations. Using the opportunity presented by neuroimaging tools to examine cognitive and affective reactions to fear appeals, we take a comparative look at the contentions of fear appeal theory and the realities of what insiders experience neurologically when exposed to ecologically relevant IS security fear appeals. Our fMRI results suggest that fear appeals elicit threat and threat response assessments, which partially supports fear appeal theory but does not support the presence of an actual fear response. Furthermore, appraisals of recommended threat responses had a stronger impact on intentions to enact security behaviors than appraisals of the threat itself, which suggests that a focus on threats might be misplaced. Instead, focusing on ways to make the responses to the threats more appealing to users might work better. These controversial findings suggest future research

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol17/iss3/1/