[AISWorld] Senior Scholars Journal Basket Survey

mmora at securenym.net mmora at securenym.net
Fri Apr 8 21:03:37 EDT 2016

Democratic-based decisions are usually flawed. However, this debate is no
on the value or usefulness of a set of journals classified by the same
control system as best ones, but on the final effects on the advance of a
discipline and its contribution to the praxis. Top journals (MIS
Quarterly, ISR, and others) have privileged some group of researchers,
research topics and research settings. This is the claim. Example: a
current 2016 call for papers of MIS Quarterly on Complexity reports
"Furthermore,
methodological developments such as agent-based simulation,
high-dimensional statistical techniques, visualization tools, datamining
tools, and large-scale dynamic network modeling, together with the
increasing availability of user- and machine-generated
trace data enable scholars to explore how sociotechnical, complex
ecosystems emerge and evolve in digital worlds". On particular, on
agent-based simulation and complexity issues top journals in our
discipline had ignored it. See for instance: Holland (1992, p.1) "... one
of the most important roles a computer can play is to act as a simulator"
such as "complex adaptive systems". Papers on top journals (like the
Senior's basket ones) have accepted and published papers on complexity but
they have ignored seminal literature (no published in tops journals). A
recent paper rejected in one of these top journals (without no initial
review by lack of relevance) reports it and remarks the contribution and
need of MAS (multi-agent simulations). So, finally it is true that status
quo will be not changed but some of the senior researchers can identify
that our discipline needs a re-engineering.