[AISWorld] Senior Scholars Journal Basket Survey

MurphJen at aol.com MurphJen at aol.com
Tue Apr 12 18:48:39 EDT 2016

I like John's suggestion in point 3 below.  I think we get hung up on  top
journals when the real artifact we create is the article.  A journal  list
is the easy way out of judging quality but actually does not validate the
quality of the individual article.  I've read many articles from top  journals
that I don't cite and don't use while there are many articles from  lesser
journals I cite and use.  Does this make the unused articles better
quality?  I don't think so, it just benefits from the halo effect. I think  we
should check the quality of the specific articles when judging for promotion
and tenure and instead of using a journal list perhaps use the h index or
other  measures of how much an article is used as more reflective of the quality
of the  of the researcher (and yes I know this raises other questions, but
we will never  get over the journal list fight as long as it is assumed that
there are only a  few really good journals).....murray

In a message dated 4/8/2016 6:21:11 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,