[AISWorld] Senior Scholars Journal Basket Survey

John Lamp john.lamp at deakin.edu.au
Tue Apr 12 19:28:20 EDT 2016

I'll use this as a springboard to jump onto my hobby horse.

Journals are pretty much dead or dying. I say that as an editor of a journal.

Look, when was the last time you went regularly to the library to read your discipline journals to see what's in them -- be honest, I'm talking the old 20th century regular visit -- monthly usually. Can you even remember?

I'm sure that there will be one or two who protest loudly, but for the vast majority, years ago.

These days people look for articles, not journals, they use the internet, google scholar, academia, half a dozen alerting services. Even publishers know this -- download one of their articles and the more advanced of them have a pop-up of related articles, from any journal under their umbrella.

The only time anyone looks for a journal is when you want to publish. The economics of that, particularly subscription and gold open access, is becoming unsustainable.

Journals were a use of the available 19th century technology to economically get the word around colleagues. In our area I should not have to trumpet the phrase "disruptive technology" but it is happening -- the green open access movement, repositories, post-publication reviewing -- all of these different models are the signs of (moderate) chaos induced by those changes. What will emerge I do not have the chutzpah to name, or to predict when it will appear and gradually become adopted. Movable type and the codex took 200 years. But it will happen.

Models such as the basket will be (are becoming?) less useful.

<ducks and runs>

Cheers
John

Undergraduates should learn to use the library;
Masters students should use the library; and
Doctoral students should add new knowledge to the library.