[AISWorld] CFP HICSS50 Mini-track on Technology Mediated Collaborations in Healthcare and Wellness Management

Souren Paul sousoup at yahoo.com
Wed May 25 17:32:43 EDT 2016

Technology Mediated Collaborations in Healthcareand Wellness ManagementCollaborationSystems and Technologies TrackFiftieth Hawaii International Conferenceon System Sciences (January 7-10, 2017) Mini-track Chairs:
|  Souren Paul¶ College of Engineering and Computing Nova Southeastern University 3301 College Avenue Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314 USA Phone: + 1 (618) 201-2041 souren.paul at gmail.com  |  Arkalgud Ramaprasad Department of Information and Decision Sciences College of Business Administration University of Illinois at Chicago Chicago, IL 60605 USA Phone: +1 (312) 772-3819 prasad at uic.edu  |  Nilmini Wickramasinghe Epworth Health Care and Faculty of Health Deakin University Bldg BC Level 4, 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood VIC 3125, Australia Phone: +61 3 9244 3052 n.wickramasinghe at deakin.edu.au    |

¶ Primary Contact Proposed area of themini-track:Todayall countries (developed, developing, and emerging) are faced withexponentially increasing costs for healthcare delivery coupled with challengesof an aging population as well as an increase in chronic diseases. This has ledto a growing need to deliver more effective and efficient healthcare.  To address this situation we are witnessingthe application of various technology solutions to support superior healthcaredelivery and wellness management. These solutions include the incorporation of webbased solutions be it as a EMR, HER or PHR as well as a plethora of apps tosupport monitoring and management of acute and chronic diseases. Further, we are seeing the growth of Web 2.0initiatives and social media to support consumer healthcare initiatives such asweb sites including patients like me which also serve to make patients moreempowered in their own healthcare and wellbeing. A unifying factor of all theseapplications is of course the collaboration technologies that enable andfacilitate all these possibilities.Inorder to achieve successful and superior healthcare delivery and wellnessmanagement it is necessary to consider people, process and technology issues.To do this in a systematic and holistic fashion we proffer an ontologicalframework to encapsulate and unify all critical interactions between and withinthe web of players in healthcare. The five primary stakeholders in healthcare:researchers, clinicians, nurses, patients, and administrators form the basis ofany partnership in health care. They are listed under the two partnershipsub-dimensions. Software Agents/Bots which are playing an increasingindependent role in the delivery of healthcare have been added to the list ofpartners. A partnership may be between two researchers, a researcher and aclinician, a patient and a nurse, etc. These dyads are summarized by the twocolumns under partners. There may also be triadic and higher order partnershipsamong these partners. Thepartnerships may be based on an exchange of data, analysis, diagnosis, or treatmentsingly or in combination. These are listed under the content dimension of the framework.Thus collaboration between two researchers may use data, between a patient anda nurse may be for diagnosis or treatment, and so on.TheMedia for partnership may be Personal, Social, Mass, or Institutional. The frameworklists the key media in healthcare in each of the categories.  Thus, for example, researchers may exchangeanalysis via personal media, patients may exchange treatments via social media,and clinicians and administrators may exchange data via institutional media.

Thepurpose of the collaboration may be care, research, administration, education ora combination of the four. These are listed under the purpose dimension of theontology. Thus collaboration between two researchers using data may be forresearch, and between a patient and a clinician may be for diagnosis for care. Inthe above framework, there are a very large number of basic types of collaborationsone can consider in healthcare. The number will change if the dimensions andcategories are modified. In a practical context multiple combinations willlikely coexist. A clinician-patient collaboration using data via individualmedia for care may be supplemented by a nurse-patient collaboration using socialmedia for education.Technology’s impact on the efficiency and effectivenessof these collaborations will be determined by the architecture of thetechnology, the systems developed around it, and the strategy for implementingit. The efficacy of the architecture will determine the efficacy of the system,and the efficacy of the system will determine the efficacy of the strategy.Thus the three categories under the technology dimension in the framework.The framework helps organize the pieces of thepuzzle, synthesizing what is known, determining the gaps, and directing futureresearch on the topic. We invite papers focusing any one or many of the innumerablecombinations in the framework. We welcome papers which address thestate-of-the-art, state-of-the-need, and the state-of-the-practice of thesecombinations.We strongly encourage authors to submit originalcontributions where innovative ideas, implementations, and empirical studiesare described.  The technologicalcontributions can highlight applications, systems, and methodological issues onthe development and/or implementation of collaborative systems inhealthcare.  The social, organizational,and behavioral contributions can report the outcome of empirical studies ontechnology mediated collaboration in healthcare.  SubmissionProcess:Full paper submissions must bemade electronically through the HICSS on-line submission system at https://precisionconference.com/~hicss by June 15, 2016. Papers should not exceed ten pages and the initial submission will nothave author names. Please check the above web site or contact the mini-trackco-chairs for more information.Key Dates:Full Papers Due: June 15,2016 (11:59pm Hawaii Time); Notification of Acceptance: August 16, 2016Final Paper Due: September15, 2016.  At least oneauthor of each paper should register by this date.  This is the Early Registration fee deadline.