[AISWorld] Addressing the Financial Times 45 Journal List Revision

Aron Lindberg alindber at stevens.edu
Wed Jun 8 23:19:05 EDT 2016

Does anyone know where the survey can be accessed? I need somewhere to point my dean.

Best,
Aron

On June 8, 2016 at 10:54:53 PM, Prof. Paul Benjamin LOWRY (paul.lowry.phd at gmail.com<mailto:paul.lowry.phd at gmail.com>) wrote:

Good question. The news organization involved is the Financial Times, which
is based in London but has a very global reach to the educated and wealthy
of the business community. Their target is theoretically any b-school deans
in the world, but of course, that's not how it works out. My understanding
is that the b-schools involved need to be participating in their annual
global MBA and e-MBA/ journal rankings, by filling out their surveys and so
on. There is some kind of eligibility criteria for schools to be considered
for their rankings each year (e.g., accreditation, minimum number of MBA
students, etc.). Not surprisingly, as a result, their rankings heavily lean
toward top universities in North America, UK, wealthy parts of Europe, and
wealthy parts of Asia. Of course, a much larger number of deans "vote" than
the number of schools that are ranked as several hundred deans are chasing
these rankings. An example of their recent global MBA rankings is at
http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-ranking-2016 . This
year, the top-5 schools are INSEAD, Harvard, LBS, Wharton, and Stanford, but
it does get more "diverse" as you move down the list. This year, one school
is from S. Africa and one is from Central America.

Anyway, the FT-45 list is used as a core part of their annual rankings.
Given the prestige of these rankings, the FT-45 list has had a huge effect
on promotion, tenure, faculty slots, and financial resources, because our
deans want to have globally ranked b-schools. Hence, in many b-schools, if
you're not publishing on the list, you do not exist. This has had a
demonstrably negative affect on IS faculty throughout the world because even
lower-ranked b-schools are insisting MISQ/ISR are the only valid IS journals
for tenure and promotion. We're stuck in a very unscientific and political
cycle of circular logic.

Paul