[AISWorld] As to journals, lists, and "a journal of your choice"

Thomas Stafford (tstaffor) tstaffor at memphis.edu
Thu Jun 9 07:59:00 EDT 2016

Alan wisely said in the recent FT45 bibliometrics debate:

>>So I strongly recommend MISQ, ISR, JAIS, JMIS, and a journal of your choice.>>

...and with full disclosure as an editorally self-interested party, I must say it's a refreshing view. In view of the survey and all the data Paul brings to the table, Alan may well have just said "MISQ, ISR and a journal of your choice."

We probably tilt at windmills to try to fight the well-established paradigm of the two at the top being meaningfully similar to any of the rest, you know? I'm not saying anything you don't already secretly believe yourself.

That said, I only wish to say that Data Base has been in publication since 1969, which is before many of you were born, I'm guessing. Amongst all the other aspects of worth, I'm touting longevity and staying power.

This means nothing in the debate of bibliometric worth, nor the paradigmatic preferences of Deans in the FT45. It's just an interesting point. And, paradigmatically totally self-interested, of course.

So, yes: Alan has succinctly and wisely stated what we all know anyway, and to that  end I would simply lobby to occasionally be that other "journal of your choice"  :-)

Paradigmatically yours,

Tom Stafford
Editor Elect

Thomas F. Stafford, Ph.D.
Editor-elect, ACM Data Base
Co-Chair, AMCIS 2018
August 16-18, New Orleans LA

Security warning: University of Memphis administration asserts that there is no inherent right to nor any expectation of privacy in email sent to or from this domain. Sensitive or confidential matters should not be communicated in this venue.