[AISWorld] Addressing the Financial Times 45 Journal List Revision

Mennecke, Brian E [SCIS] mennecke at iastate.edu
Thu Jun 9 11:51:28 EDT 2016

Colleagues

The dialog about this topic has been informative and useful.  I am on our College’s Faculty Executive Committee and we have spent the last several years attempting to formulate some consistent policies and criteria for departments to use in developing “lists” for evaluating faculty.  As we all know, it is a hornet’s nest because of the biases held by faculty in each domain (e.g., our journals are better than your journals) and, importantly, because of the perception that the pie has only so many slices (i.e., will have a set number of journal slots).  As has been noted, a major problem with the FT list is the politics underlying its formation… like that doesn’t happen locally too!

Alas, we probably can do little more than play the game as it has been set, but we would play a better hand with a coordinated team.  In this light, I suggest that the AIS leadership formulate a position statement on this topic; something akin to the Senior Scholars editorials.  There are a number of factors that will influence a dean to go one way or another when filling out this type of survey, but if a faculty member provides his or her dean with information that includes the support of a widely recognized and august academic association, I can’t help but think it will be influential.

I take the list as a digest, so if I missed a message already sent along these lines, apologies.

Cheers,

Brian E. Mennecke, PhD
3313 Gerdin Business Building
Iowa State University