[AISWorld] Most Influential Information Systems Papers

Samir Chatterjee profsamir1 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 15:08:13 EDT 2016

Hello All,

In our IS community we periodically tend to talk about elite journals by
name (such as MISQ, ISR, JMIA or JAIS etc) and get bogged down by which
journal gets into FT 45 or not. Very seldom do we take the time to actually
discuss what papers/content published in these journals actually have an
influence. When I talk about influence, I mean not only high citations
(researchers are referring the work) but also real-world impact which is
something that was actually built, implemented and even commercialized for
societal benefit. While we tend to have high citation papers in our field
but IS suffers in the latter. For example I am aware of highly influential
work by Jay Nunamaker on GDSS which actually saw the light of day as real
people used those group systems.

I will admit that I am a computer scientist who accidentally became an IS
professor. But honestly I see our field as obsessed about journal prestige
but very little attention is paid to what work has actually benefitted
mankind.

I did a quick search about influential papers in CS and found some highly
interesting work cited.

1.Claude Shannon's "A Mathematical Theory of Communication" has over 63,000
citation and is the basis of all communication systems in use today.

2. S Brin, L Page. The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search
Engine <http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?cid=6538>. in Proc. of
7th International WWW Conference, 1998
Has over 3623 citations and is of course the basis of Google search engine
that has changed the world forever.

3. R Rivest, A Shamir, L Adleman. A Method for Obtaining Digital Signatures
and Public-Key Cryptosystems
<http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?cid=10320>. Communications of
the ACM, 1978
Has over 3175 citations and is the foundation RSA technology which is now
used extensively in S/MIME, and TLS and other network security protocols.

These are a few sample examples. There are many others..

So here is what I propose. Please send me a cited paper and tell me why you
feel the paper is infuential for IS community. I will start a Wikipedia
page and add those influential papers to the site so that future IS
researchers have a must read set of articles.
Cheers,
Samir

--
Dr. Samir Chatterjee
Professor
profsamir1 at gmail.com
http://sites.cgu.edu/chatterjees/

Director, *Innovations Design Empowerment Applications Laboratory* (IDEA
Labs) http://www.idea-labs.net/
Associate Editor: Health Systems, IJBDCN
Editorial Board: Journal of AIS
Member: IEEE (senior), ACM (senior), AIS, AMIA
Author: http://designscienceresearch.wordpress.com/about/
2015 Lifetime Achievement Award Winner for Contributions to Design Science
(by AIS DSR community)