[AISWorld] FW: Most Influential Information Systems Papers - "pure science" value

Prof. Samuel I. Lubbe LubbeS at unizulu.ac.za
Thu Jul 21 02:48:44 EDT 2016

Hi

Can we regard any of these as a grand theory?

Sam

Can you give me examples of "deep knowledge" created by IS discipline? I would like to include those references.
Samir

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 9:36 AM, TPLIANG <tpliang at faculty.nsysu.edu.tw>
wrote:

> I concur with Merrill's comments.
>
> Knowledge itself is beautiful asset​ of human beings. Knowledge
> includes those with short-term value (what, who and how to solve
> problems) and those that may not have immediate practical value (such as why and why not).
> There is a Chinese proverb "knowing is harder than doing." I believe
> what carries a discipline longer is its deep knowledge (in addition to
> its hands-on practice). These two types of knowledge should complement
> each other.
>
> --
>
> Ting-Peng Liang
> National Chair Professor

> Colleagues: Further to Kevin's response to Mike's medical analogy
> below (in the stream initiated by Samir), ...  Whereas physicians are
> practitioners (albeit with scientific training and perspective), I
> would argue that the true audience of much scientific research in
> medicine is other medical researchers who (in the best tradition of
> "basic science" or "pure science" rather than applied science or
> engineering) are truly building medical science knowledge piece by
> piece ("block by block").  The pursuit of knowledge for its own sake
> has value.  We never know which scientific discovery may someday have
> practical value, but even if a discovery does not have direct
> immediate value, it can add to our overall understanding of phenomena
> of interest.  Researchers in Physiology and Medicine, for example,
> have been awarded Nobel Prizes "for the discovery that proteins have
> intrinsic signals that govern their transport and localization in the
> cell" and "for their discovery of G-prot
>
>  eins
>    and the role of these proteins in signal transduction in cells."
> Some early Nobel-awarded discoveries led to later breakthrough cures
> for diseases and others did not, but we should not reject scientific
> discoveries with no immediate practical value.  (Similarly, early
> scientific discoveries about magnetism, electricity, and optics were
> motivated by pure curiosity, but led to the technologies that we now
> use every day!  I'm glad no one told them to quit chasing their crazy
> experiments.)
>
>  The word "science" originated in Middle English to denote the pursuit
> of knowledge.  The English word "science" comes to us from Old French,
> from Latin scientia, from scire 'know'
>  (source: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=science )
>
>  So as "teacher-scholars," we surely want to teach, train, and educate
> our students to be capable future IT professionals by imparting
> practical knowledge.  However, I would also argue that we should seek
> deeper nuanced understanding of information systems, including how
> they work, how they are built and used, how IT interacts with and
> influences individuals, groups, organizations, and society, and (plug
> in your favorite sub-discipline here).  All scientific discoveries,
> [...]

Dr. Samir Chatterjee
Professor
School of Information Systems & Technology Claremont Graduate University
130 East 9th Street, Claremont, CA 91711
(P) 909-607-4651; (cell) 909-730-8898
profsamir1 at gmail.com
http://sites.cgu.edu/chatterjees/

Director, *Innovations Design Empowerment Applications Laboratory* (IDEA
Labs) http://www.idea-labs.net/
Associate Editor: Health Systems, IJBDCN Editorial Board: Journal of AIS
Member: IEEE (senior), ACM (senior), AIS, AMIA
Author: http://designscienceresearch.wordpress.com/about/
2015 Lifetime Achievement Award Winner for Contributions to Design Science (by AIS DSR community) _______________________________________________
AISWorld mailing list
AISWorld at lists.aisnet.org
--Disclaimer This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and/or priviledged, and remain the propery of the University of Zululand. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any review, dissemination, disclosure, alteration, printing, photocopying, circulation and transmission of this e-mail or its attachments is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us as soon as possible. We reserve the right to intercept, filter, view, block, delete, access, copy, read and /or act upon all e-mail messages originating from or destined for any of our file or e-mail servers.